PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Austria 2011
June 2, 2011
1:23 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin
Forum Posts: 8239
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Might have to split this thread if it gets too pic-heavy, but here are a selection from my trip.

So I flew into Vienna on Saturday 28th May and was collected at the airport by Michael Köck from the Haus des Meeres. After a quick stop at my digs we headed to the Schönbrunn Zoo (thanks also to them for sorting the hotel out) to have a look at their fish displays and, more excitingly, Aphanius breeding programme which is off-limits to the general public.

Displays of native species outside the aquarium-house:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

This one houses the European mud minnow Umbra krameri, tree frog Hyla arborea and fire-bellied toad Bombina bombina, all three of which were on the hit-list to see in the wild over the following few days:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Some shots of the breeding programme for endangered species which is based in a dedicated room underneath the public part of the aquarium. Most of these tanks house Aphanius but there are also several species of Cyprinodon, Characodon, Crenichthys, Fundulus, and other bits and bobs such as Cualac tesselatus, Valencia letourneuxi and Astatotilapia flavijosephii. Very, very cool!!!:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Cualac tank:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Phreatichthys andruzzii is an interesting hypogean cyprinid native to a small area in Somalia and must be kept in very warm conditions:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

This pool outside contains a large breeding population of Valencia letourneuxi, a highly-endangered killifish from western Greece and Albania:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Unfortunately my contact at the zoo had to cancel at the last minute due to family matters so we rearranged our meeting and Mike and I decided to go and have a look at the 'Wienfluss' (Vienna River), a short tributary of the Danube that's famous for rapid variations in flow. It's still dangerous and there are warning signs with speakers along certain stretches. Within the city it's been heavily-modified as a result but not far outside is clean and holds quite a few fish species.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

I'd left my photo tank in the hotel so sorry about the pics. We found juveniles of Cottus gobio and Barbatula barbatula (?)... :

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

...and Phoxinus phoxinus.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

The spot we sampled:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found]

Cake or death?
June 2, 2011
4:05 pm
ender2811
Veteran
Forum Posts: 161

Sounds like a nice trip. Is the breeding program part of a repopulation attempt or are they planing to keep the species in house.
Schonbrunn is a cool place. Been there twice, loved it. Ask your friends if they could use a couple of biotech engineers. Will work for food /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="Laugh" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

June 2, 2011
4:13 pm
Stefan
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1567

Great Matt - looks like you've had fun!

June 2, 2011
4:14 pm
Thomas
Veteran
Forum Posts: 468

Thanks for sharing, Matt. Looks very interesting especially the small Cottus and Barbatula (for me).

But where is my Cobitis? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Cheers,
Thomas

June 2, 2011
4:24 pm
Menu
Austria
Forum Posts: 77

Wonderful stuff Matt!
Nice that you found some endemic species.

June 2, 2011
6:48 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Cheers everyone, and this was only the first day so plenty more to come once I've worked through the other photos. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Cake or death?
June 2, 2011
8:31 pm
Senor Bastardo
Veteran
Forum Posts: 165

Great pics Matt!

That Somalian cyprinid was reallly something got any more info on that?

June 2, 2011
8:56 pm
oaken
Veteran
Forum Posts: 629

That place looks amazing!

June 3, 2011
7:07 am
Bluedave
Veteran
Forum Posts: 777

you lucky, lucky barsteward!

looking forward to the next installment of photo's.

June 3, 2011
7:07 am
keith565
Veteran
Forum Posts: 761

wow, amazing. can't wait for installment 2

June 3, 2011
12:01 pm
Plaamoo
Bellingham, Washington U.S.A.
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1253

Great trip & accounting Matt! I bet you were in heaven!

June 3, 2011
1:07 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Yep Jim, you guess right. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

To answer some of the questions:

- The Aphanius project is essentially based around long-term captive maintenance due to a lack of habitat protection in the fishes' native countries. The zoo team played a large part in the rediscovery and subsequent reintroduction attempts for the Jordanian species Aphanius sirhani and make regular trips abroad to check the status of native habitats. If necessary fish will always be available for reintroduction purposes.

- Krister, don't know much about the Phreatichthys other than that they came from another zoo who did breed them which is now the plan at Vienna. Will try to obtain more info.

- Thomas you will see your loach shortly hehehe!

Cake or death?
June 3, 2011
5:07 pm
Eyrie
Veteran
Forum Posts: 571

Great stuff - thanks for sharing /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
June 3, 2011
7:31 pm
andy rushworth
Veteran
Forum Posts: 502

The fish in pic 15 looks like a Cobitis /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" /> .

June 3, 2011
10:12 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

We did discuss that possibility Andy hence the question mark. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" /> Very possible for sure.

Ok here's some pics from day two...

Street outside the hotel. I was nearly killed by several trams, still very much in use as public transport throughout Vienna, during the course of my stay. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> The old ones are easy to avoid as they rattle a lot but the new ones are bloody silent!

[Image Can Not Be Found]

This is the same river we sampled earlier but within the city. You can see how much it's been modified as the underground line now runs alongside it and flow is heavily reduced:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Apparently Vienna is one of the most beautiful cites in Europe but in 4½ days I didn't see much of it, so here's a token photo of a typical building: /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":p" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

[Image Can Not Be Found]

First on the agenda for the second day was a brief trip to my friend Mike's place of work, the Haus des Meeres aquarium, where he curates freshwater fishes, primates, reptiles and amphibians. The building is quite interesting since it was built as a bomb shelter during World War II so is an odd shape for a public aquarium being spread out over 9 floors:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Can't for the life of me remember what these are but Mike told me this is one of the only captive groups in the world. One of the things that struck me about both zoo and aquarium was the amount of conservation work going on:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

The roof of the building offers some pretty impressive views over the city:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

ID help required, but I really liked these lizards and chameleons, and what was additionally cool were the tetras and hatchetfish swimming about in the base of the displays:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Morelia viridis?

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Very nice Anableps anableps display with loads of Poecilia velifera inside! Apologies for overall lack of fish photos - I did take quite a few but my camera performs terribly in anything less than very bright light so the results were mostly awful:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

The two rain forest displays are excellent and contain free-range monkeys and birds:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Mike's real passion though is goodeids (he's chairman of the international Goodeid Working Group - website still in development) and there exist extensive breeding facilities behind the scenes. Again, sorry for pic quality, or rather lack of it /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> :

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

There's also a display containing Xenotoca eiseni with accompanying information about the GWG in the public part of the aquarium:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found]

Cake or death?
June 3, 2011
10:30 pm
ender2811
Veteran
Forum Posts: 161

Very nice.
So your life is basically a Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom episode. With the added danger of ninja trams /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />
The pics of the breeding facilities are not that bad. You get a good sense of the scale of the project.

June 3, 2011
11:02 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Following a brief discussion we both agreed that the best way to spend the rest of the day would be to drive 360 km (!), spend a wee bit of time sampling a thermal spring near the Slovenian border then immediately come back again. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> So away we went and after a few enjoyable hours mostly spent talking about fishes and enjoying some stunning scenery arrived to this beautiful place:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Although Mike had warned me it was still crazy to see Shinnersia rivularis and Crytocoryne spp. thriving upon first view of the spring. It only runs for a few hundred metres before draining into a non-thermal stream but holds a temperature above 21°C/70°F throughout the year which has allowed the foreign vegetation to become established via an aquarium plant farm that used to exist here 20-30 years ago. Bear in mind this habitat is in the Alps meaning steam rises from it during winter!

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Further downstream Vallisneria spiralis is also growing thickly:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Closer look at one of the Cryptocoryne spp. ID please?

[Image Can Not Be Found]

The first fish we caught was clearly a native species. Any guesses as to what it is? Leuciscus sp. perhaps?

[Image Can Not Be Found]

We could see some other, somewhat intriguing-looking stuff swimming about and that's when things starting getting weird. First we got these (there were adults too, but we didn't want to disturb things too much):

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Then this Hemichromis sp. which appeared to be one of the dominant fishes here:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

There were also lots of Amatitlania nigrofasciata and we saw several pairs with fry - cool to watch them defending territories!

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Numerous goldfish were also at large...

[Image Can Not Be Found]

...and this Melanoides sp. was everywhere:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Mike attempting to lift our most impressive specimen, a Squalius cephalus weighing 3 or 4 kilos caught using only team-work and aquarium hand nets! Because there was no fight involved in landing it, this fish was quite lively to say the least which wasn't helped by the fact we were both pi**ing ourselves laughing the whole time! Notice the cunning deployment of four nets to stop the handles breaking. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="Laugh" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Habitat shot. The water is totally transparent which with the plants and fishes present really gives the effect of staring into a giant community tank. Most odd:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

After landing this juvenile Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus my camera battery packed in hence the lack of underwater videos and additional pictures. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mad:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Literally seconds later Mike caught an enormous adult female and this species is also clearly breeding here. Other fishes observed were a solitary Pseudotropheus, Poecilia sphenops, lots of adult Xiphophorus (both platies and swordtails - all ornamental strains) and Hemichromis fasciatus but seeing we only had around 2 hours fishing time we probably missed a few, too. At any rate it was a totally bizarre, but great experience, and thanks a million to Mike for being a hardcore driver and completely outfishing me at every available opportunity. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found]

Cake or death?
June 3, 2011
11:08 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

QUOTE (ender2811 @ Jun 3 2011, 11:13 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice.
So your life is basically a Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom episode. With the added danger of ninja trams /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Nope, my life consists of a poorly-paid office job and this is my first trip to anywhere other than the UK in the last three years. If that's the impression you get it's all good though! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="Laugh" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE (ender2811 @ Jun 3 2011, 11:13 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
The pics of the breeding facilities are not that bad. You get a good sense of the scale of the project.

Cool, that was what I hoped for as anything more detailed was, sadly, impossible. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Some very nice fishes in those tanks which would be great to capture using better equipment.

Cake or death?
June 4, 2011
8:24 am
keith565
Veteran
Forum Posts: 761

wow, love the breeding set up. also very interesting what fish you caught in the river.
got to love those anableps,lol

June 4, 2011
9:32 am
oaken
Veteran
Forum Posts: 629

That breeding facility looks really really cool. And I can't help but wonder what that habitat would have looked like without all the invasive species.

Not very good on plants but the Cryptocoryne look like either a C. usteriana or C. aponogetifolia.

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1253

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099

Mark Duffill: 1012

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 30279

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 10

Topics: 4595

Newest Members: crabhappy, StygianSteel, marcelmueller, foreverlearning, JeffOfNorway

Administrators: dunc: 1323, Matt: 8239