PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Festival Of Fishkeeping 2011
December 11, 2011
6:19 am
keith565
Veteran
Forum Posts: 761
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

sorry for delay in the write up but been busy.

well, was a nice drive down to Weston where the fun began as my satnav took me up on a high road just wide enough for two small cars to pass, unfortunately, mine isn't small. (fiat 500 driver, you know who you are).
anyway, we found the site and managed to find a parking spot, our first thought were where are all the visitors going to park as it wasn't the biggest car park i have seen.
we got unloaded and dropped our gear off at the stand and our belongings at the chalet (very comfortable, plenty of room, shower, LCD TV.)
then we went back to the viviparous stand and found the tanks already full of water and heated, such a time saver as in past years we have had to fill and heat the tanks up.
so we acclimatized all the fish we brought to put on the stand (probably around 200 fish covering 20 different species of livebearer from the humble guppy to the rarer goodeids and poecilias).
then off for tea.
nice site, big restaurant and waiter service. there was a choice of hot menu and a cold salad bar.
night time entertainment was a Neil diamond sound alike, i put up with him for about an hour then went to bed.
the following day we began checking the other stands out and looking at fish etc for sale.
i noticed one big miss, the BKA (British koi association), not 100% sure why they were not there.
there were lots of trade stands, some advertising their products such as Tetra, New Era and so on to individual stands selling anything from fish foods to show tanks, live foods, cards, toys, etc.
there was also a stand for selling fish, this was manned by volunteers who kept a close record on what sold and from whom. lots of rare fish, killies, bettas (some wild), catfish, L numbers, too many to list. some fish i have never seen before.
the turn over of the public was slow but constant on Saturday, on the night time we were entertained by a group (name slips my mind) and enjoyable night had by all. Sunday however, seemed to be very slow and drag on for some time.
it seemed no one was visiting. such a shame after all the hard work everyone had put into it.
anyway, we enjoyed the weekend, was good to see some friends we don't see very often.
want to say a big thank you to the festival team who put in a lot of work several days before it opens to the public, and also a thanks to the FBAS and everyone who supports the festival.
IMG_1217.jpgImage Enlarger

IMG_1747.jpgImage Enlarger

IMG_1749.jpgImage Enlarger

IMG_1757.jpgImage Enlarger

wsm1.jpgImage Enlarger

wsm3.jpgImage Enlarger

wsm4.jpgImage Enlarger

wsm5.jpgImage Enlarger
[/img]

December 11, 2011
11:36 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin
Forum Posts: 8239

Great write-up Keith, cheers. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Why so quiet I wonder? I noticed PFK pretty much pulled their support this year in favour of Aquatics Live so maybe that had an effect??

Cake or death?
December 12, 2011
8:24 pm
keith565
Veteran

yes Matt, i was thinking along the same lines. i believe there were quite a few companies who were visible by their absence this year. such a shame as it's a great weekend.
but i also think it is a sign of the times we are in as it typically costs a couple more than £500 for the weekend.

December 14, 2011
1:32 pm
N0body Of The Goat
Forum Posts: 52

While I only attended the final few hours of the Hayling Island 2010 FOF event, it was positively heaving and I wish I had got there earlier (so many great looking and unusual fish to see). Sorry to hear that numbers sound as if they were considerably down, both in terms of the public and organisations.

Has next year's location been confirmed as yet?

Constantly juggling mainly African riverine fish between 6 tanks, from 54 to 566l in size!
December 16, 2011
8:04 am
keith565
Veteran

as far as i know, it will be held in the same venue as this year.
i do hope there is more advertising and support for next year as i and my friends are having second thoughts about going in 2012.

December 16, 2011
2:09 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin
Forum Posts: 8239

Just a point - why don't they actively search for promotional opportunities Keith? We get plenty of hits every week these days, for example, and no worries to run short news pieces about FBAS events should they wish...

Cake or death?
December 19, 2011
9:11 am
keith565
Veteran

i have no idea Matt. there always seems a poor amount of advertising. i'm not sure how they go about advertising and finding space/sponsors etc. but with my history, i'm not the one to be asking the FBAS any questions. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

December 22, 2011
12:53 pm
Mark Duffill
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1012

My sat nav took me up the same road Keith ended up nearly having a fight with an idiot in a merc that wouldnt reverse, he saw my point in the end

Good weekend but ammount of people visiting was disappointing.

December 22, 2011
3:12 pm
Bluedave
Veteran
Forum Posts: 777

I went to the Hayling island event a few years ago and it was heaving. Shame about the numbers but sounds like you had a good weekend mate.

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1257

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099