PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Malaysia 2013
July 12, 2013
8:24 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin
Forum Posts: 8239
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

On the 3rd August my wife and I fly to Singapore and will spend 4 weeks travelling around Malaysia, most of which is due to involve fishing. Laugh

The plan is a couple of days in Singapore followed by 2 days on Bintan island looking for Betta miniopinna and other species, then just over 2 weeks in Peninsular Malaysia and a week on Borneo (Sarawak).

What I want to ask is...is there any specific mission anyone would like us to carry out? Only concrete ideas at the moment are trying to find Barbucca and Homaloptera in PM, Stiphodon on Tioman Island, Betta macrostoma and Gastromyzon in Borneo, but we're basically up for anything.

Cake or death?
July 12, 2013
8:57 am
Rüdiger
Brunswick / Germany
Veteran
Forum Posts: 349

Hi Matt, that's great! 

At reading this, first a feeling of envy wanted to creep up, but then on second thought, considering the thousands of mosquito bites you'll have to suffer, maybe not! :-D

There's one thing that comes to mind, which could be useful and basically a byproduct of your activities anyway. I guess you are more or less likely to encounter the odd Parosphromenus species in your nets. If it was at all possible to photograph them for identification and record the GPS data, you might be able to help out the the good people at the "Parosphromenus Project".

I hasten to add, that this is a 'top of the head' idea, not knowing how far the guys are interesred in such data. So, if this is nonsense,  just pretend I didn't say anything! :-D

Regards

R.

If you must insist on living in a box ...... at least do your thinking outside.
July 12, 2013
9:53 am
BigTom
Edinburgh
Veteran
Forum Posts: 311

Paros immediately popped into my head as well. I know Peter Finke and others on PP are quite worried about the status of a number of species and collection sites. I'd highly recommend sending Peter an email and asking if there's anything specific you could check for him.

Extremely jealous by the way!

July 12, 2013
10:53 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Ah, neglected to mention paros in first post sorry. Did speak with Peter about this several weeks ago but must send him another mail asking about which localities would be most useful to visit.

Am actually more scared of leeches than mosquitoes!

Cake or death?
July 12, 2013
2:25 pm
Plaamoo
Bellingham, Washington U.S.A.
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1253

Sounds like you have everything covered that I can think of. I'm also extremely jealous and would love to tag along! Lot & lots of pics of course! How's your fish catching equipment? Nets?? Do watch out for the tiny Aedes mosquito that is active in the daytime.

July 19, 2013
5:05 pm
hachge
Forum Posts: 137

Hi Matt

I have B.miniopina the old strain swimming in my tanks but if you find a new population put me on your list when you will have fry

July 23, 2013
10:47 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Hi Herve not sure I'll bring any fishes home. We visit the miniopinna habitat on our first day and I would have to keep them alive for over a month of travelling, fly them back to Spain and somehow get water soft enough for them to live in (it is very hard indeed here). :(

Cake or death?
July 23, 2013
10:52 am
hachge
Forum Posts: 137

Friend of mine back from Malaysia told me the biotope of Miniiopina almost diseapeared.He found also nice population of Paros and B.tussyae

July 29, 2013
9:01 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Got some local help so hopefully we can find it Henri.

Just 5 days to go and getting a bit nervous now. Here's a basic plan of our route, where we'll be and when:

03-04 August: leave Spain arrive Singapore via Doha (Qatar).

05 August: Bintan Island.

06-07 August: Singapore including visits to a well-known exporter and Raffles Museum.

07-11 August: collect car in Johor Bahru and drive Johor - Kota Tinggi - Mersing stopping to fish at certain points along the way.

11-14 August: Tioman Island (hope to see Stiphodon).

14-16 August: drive Mersing - Kuala Terengganu via Muadzam Shah.

16-24 August: leave car and meet my friend Amey in Terengganu. He is working with fishes at the university there and will take us collecting all around the north and west of Peninsular Malaysia during these days.

24-27 August: fly Johor - Kuching and visit habitats in southwestern Sarawak with @Haji Badaruddin  and others.

28-30 August: fly Kuching - Miri to look for Betta macrostoma.

30-31 August: Fly Miri - Singapore - Barcelona.
Cake or death?
July 29, 2013
11:46 am
coelacanth
Veteran
Forum Posts: 514

Well jealous, try to remember to have some bread rolls or similar with you, I seem to remember it being a great way to get the barbs up close and personal. Still remember my surprise at seeing Croaking Gouramis swimming happily in the fastest parts of the little streams. 

July 30, 2013
10:05 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Ok will do!

Cake or death?
August 18, 2013
4:29 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Hi guys sorry the updates have been non-existent but internet access has been sporadic and restricted to mobile phones until now meaning forum posts have been impossible.

We're about halfway through the trip and currently in Kuala Terengganu in northeastern Peninsular Malaysia. We've visited Singapore, been to Bintan Island where Betta miniopinna and Parosphromenus bintan were found, had a fairly depressing drive though the states of Johor (oil palm everywhere) and Pahang (where a massive tract of what we'd been told was pristine peat swamp forest has been destroyed, apparently very recently) and stopped of at Tioman Island for three days where we found Stiphodon among other cool stuff.

For the last two and next five days we're with an ichthyologist friend from UMT university and have already collected more than 40 species! Yesterday we visited a relatively unspoilt coastal blackwater river and swamp system and today we checked out some hillstreams in the upper Sungai Terengganu river system. Lots of balitorids, cobitids, cyprinids, etc.

All my pics are still on the DSLR but my wife has been posting a few on Facebook for those that use it. I'll endeavour to get some downloaded onto this wee laptop over the next few days and post them up.

Hope all's cool on the forum; no time to check at the minute as we've an early start tomorrow and it's almost midnight here. If there are any major issues with spammers, trolls, etc. please shoot me a private message and I'll sort it asap.

Still a couple of weeks left as on the 24th we fly to Borneo for a week so catch you all soon. :)

Cake or death?
August 18, 2013
8:38 pm
Plaamoo
Community Helper

Thanks for the update Matt! Glad it's going well. Slow here but it is Summer :) .

Can't wait to see these..."Lots of balitorids"...... and "Stiphodon"

And several new species of gastros form Borneo!

August 19, 2013
1:56 pm
joyban
Forum Posts: 71

Dear Matt,

Probably a bit too late but if you could please record some Habitat Pics & Water Parameter of the Balitoraides would be wonderful.. And any information on food they are generally consuming in the Wild...

Hope you are already having a Wonderful trip...

Many Thanks

Best Regards

Sujoy

September 1, 2013
9:11 am
pablito
Veteran
Forum Posts: 152

ah mosquitos; hate those little buggers. Seem to getting less able to cope with their bites as I get older. Must confess Matt that leeches have given me the willies since I first watched Humphrey Bogart in the "African Queen" when I was a kid.

Have a good trip!!

September 2, 2013
8:10 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

So here we are back in Barcelona. Frown Will get some photos sorted asap but what a trip!

Cake or death?
September 2, 2013
12:56 pm
Plaamoo
Community Helper

Glad you're back in one piece. Hurry up with the pics already, you're killing us! :)

Thanks to your wife for posting a few on facebook along the way!

September 2, 2013
11:36 pm
Rüdiger
Brunswick / Germany
Veteran
Forum Posts: 349

Welcome back Matt and ........ what Jim said!!! :-D

If you must insist on living in a box ...... at least do your thinking outside.
September 3, 2013
8:29 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Thanks guys and will do!

Cake or death?
September 8, 2013
11:28 pm
Plaamoo
Community Helper

If you don't post some pics soon I'm going to post images of my recent colonoscopy! Smile

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1253

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099

Mark Duffill: 1012

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 30286

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 10

Topics: 4595

Newest Members: grayergroove, bhisma wildan, costeacristianalex, knebeshwar, tdog44632

Administrators: dunc: 1323, Matt: 8239