PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
125l/33usg/27.5ukg Tank
November 30, 2008
5:05 pm
Malti
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1099
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So today i bought this 125L tank (those who use Gallons its either 33 US or 27.5 UK). And I'm thinking of putting in it my "rescues" that is some

10 guppies- 3m,7f
6 mollies -2 males, (and 4 females to purchase)
1 pair of golden gouramis
1 tetra not IDed yet (will buy couple more or atleast 1 more) (and post pics later)
and maybe a couple of small IAE

do you think its good - spacewise ?

Also there will be a fantail with them, I know she's coldwater, but I don't have any extra tanks for 1 fish.

November 30, 2008
10:43 pm
Eyrie
Veteran
Forum Posts: 571

I'd leave out the female mollies - you'll get enough fry from the guppies. Also a 125L may be a little on the small side for golden gouramis as well. Finally the fantail will take up a fair bit of stocking room once it grows which is another argument against more mollies.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
December 1, 2008
12:36 am
Malti
Community Helper

but won't the males be a bit of a pain to others? as they won't have anyone to pester?

December 1, 2008
12:13 pm
thelizzious
Veteran
Forum Posts: 315

QUOTE (Malti @ Dec 1 2008, 01:19 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
but won't the males be a bit of a pain to others? as they won't have anyone to pester?

That was also my fear, Malti. With everything going on in my small (60l.) tank. Remember the mysteriously disappearing of my zebra-danio's? There were two left and both are male. They have a nice long chase as eachother through the tank, from time till time, but they don't harm eachother. Same goes for the endler-guppie males. After taking out the two females and their fry they live like bachelor boys in harmony. Case is that once there are no females anywhere (of their own kind) they stop pestering and leave all other fish in peace. I am still trying to do the same with my platys, but they still get those fits when I want to catch them. It's either the boys or the girls alone.

December 1, 2008
8:46 pm
Eyrie
Veteran

QUOTE (Malti @ Dec 1 2008, 12:19 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't have thought this would be an issue without any females present to excite them. Providing the tank is reasonable planted then the two of them can stay out of each other's way.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
December 2, 2008
9:27 am
Malti
Community Helper

and also the fact that its going to be heavily planted...and fry have to fend for themselves...

December 2, 2008
7:42 pm
Malti
Community Helper

ok so the tally at the moment is

15 cory paleatus and 1 bronze
3 IAE
1 harlequin tetra,
1 unknown tetra (?looks like black widow )
1 goldy fantail (temporary)
1 pair of colisia lalia
1 pair of Trichogaster trichopterus
1 harlequin tetra
2 m guppies and 4 fem guppies (gave away 4 /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />)
3 killies (forgot the name) 1m 2 f
1 male molly (the other one is still with the bettas...when I put both in they started flaring and fighting betta style!)

bit worried about the gouramis but they were together before with no probs, and there are ample hiding places.

December 2, 2008
9:13 pm
Eyrie
Veteran

Karlos, is there any room left for water? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Stocking looks manageable, albeit heavy, so you'll need to keep on top of the water changes. I'd start with 1/3 weekly and see how the test results go.

December 2, 2008
9:30 pm
Malti
Community Helper

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 2 2008, 10:56 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
Karlos, is there any room left for water? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Stocking looks manageable, albeit heavy, so you'll need to keep on top of the water changes. I'd start with 1/3 weekly and see how the test results go.

and I had forgot to mention that I have an unided pleco /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

actually looks empty for now - although bottomwise its abit more dense. and about water changes was thinking on those lines...

I'll post pics of unided fish in a moment...although one looks like a black widow juvie

December 8, 2008
4:42 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin
Forum Posts: 8239

I agree with Mark Karlos; you're a bit heavily-stocked but if you keep on top of water changes and rehome the goldfish you should be ok.

Cake or death?
December 8, 2008
5:59 pm
Malti
Community Helper

will try to rehome it....but no one seems to want the little pig /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="Laugh" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

December 8, 2008
8:19 pm
Eyrie
Veteran

Sounds like the perfect excuse for another tank to me /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Plus you'll be able to keep it at a lower temperature than a tropical tank (inasmuch as that's possible in Malta!).

December 8, 2008
8:26 pm
Malti
Community Helper

sure its a perfect excuse...got 2 6 1/2 and 1 4 1/2 ft tanks just empty.....

only drawback - the electricity bills, and as I ain't working can't pay part of them myself :S

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1253

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099