PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Danionella dracula Britz, Conway Rüber, 2009 - from Myitkyina, Myanmar
April 18, 2011
1:22 pm
Stefan
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1567
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Danionella%20dracula%20male.jpgImage Enlarger

Danionella%20dracula%20female.jpgImage Enlarger

Ever since Paedocypris was described I have been mesmerized by progenetic paedomorphosis of which Danionella are another prime example. Thanks to Pat and Colin I'm finally able to keep one of those miniature fishes at home. We were unsure what species they were but one of the authors identified them for me as Danionella dracula.

Sadly some of them have passed away; they appear to be very sensitive fish. So I'm left with 7 of them with 1 definite male and female (I'm thinking the ratio is 1/6) and of course I'll be trying to breed them! Thanks to Paul Dixon for helping out in that particular area.

They're in a 60cm tank (overkill, I know) with a sandy bottom, floating plants on the surface with long roots hanging down, and dead leaves on the bottom and surface. They're doing just great and eat microworms, BBS, dry foods and everything. There are cherry shrimp (what species are they?) in there as well to keep things clean. pH is 7.5, dGH 8, temprature 24.5C.

April 18, 2011
3:16 pm
Colin
Veteran
Forum Posts: 791

Just want to add that in the second pic you can see a hint of the green flash the fish sometimes show - I was pleasantly surprised that they had had an interesting and pretty quirky neon stripe.

April 18, 2011
3:53 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin
Forum Posts: 8239

Way cool - now get them bred and send me some! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":p" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Cherry shrimp is a variant of Neocaridina heteropoda?

Cake or death?
April 18, 2011
4:07 pm
Stefan
Community Helper

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 18 2011, 05:36 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
Way cool - now get them bred and send me some! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":p" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Cherry shrimp is a variant of Neocaridina heteropoda?

Don't think sending them will be an option, considering the last fiasco - and those were hardy fish. We'll figure out way, but first; let me try to spawn and then raise them - with the latter being the biggest challange perhaps.

Yeah that's the shrimp I've got; thanks! They're funny little critters! I want them breeding as well.

April 18, 2011
7:48 pm
Senor Bastardo
Veteran
Forum Posts: 165

Do you know if anyone has bred them? A friendof mine keeps D. dracula and hasn´t had much luck so far.

April 18, 2011
7:52 pm
Stefan
Community Helper

QUOTE (Senor Bastardo @ Apr 18 2011, 09:31 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know if anyone has bred them? A friendof mine keeps D. dracula and hasn´t had much luck so far.

To the best of my knowledge only translucida has been bred in captivity, none of the other 3. I'll keep you posted here; maybe there'll something that can help your friend?

April 19, 2011
4:10 pm
oaken
Veteran
Forum Posts: 629

I've had this species two times, and I have 3 left at the moment. The first time all died to some mysterious disease. Their body basically turned white and they faded away. But people who got fish from the same shipment had the same problem apparently.

Anyway, I wouldn't say they're sensitive fish, they can be a bit skittish at first and might die because of that. But other than that they seem quite long lived (up to 3 years I've heard?) and don't seem too concerned about water quality, either. They eat like pigs as well /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />. Maybe you just got "bad" fish from the start.

April 20, 2011
5:43 pm
Stefan
Community Helper

Down to 6. The male just died and I don't know why. That means no breeding.

April 20, 2011
6:44 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

Oh no. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Sure it was the only one?

Cake or death?
April 20, 2011
6:49 pm
Stefan
Community Helper

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 20 2011, 08:27 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh no. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Sure it was the only one?

Pretty sure...unless I'm really lucky because there's 1 doubter, but I'm leaning towards female.

April 20, 2011
9:26 pm
Colin
Veteran

you want me to order some more in?

April 20, 2011
9:31 pm
Stefan
Community Helper

QUOTE (Colin @ Apr 20 2011, 11:09 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
you want me to order some more in?

You've got none left? Yes, please do, as long as they're the same species /thumbs_up.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbs_up.gif" /> I could do with 12-15 more. You think they'll survive the shipping to mine? It'll be too sad and costly if they won't.

April 21, 2011
6:11 am
Colin
Veteran

I wouldn't like to bet on how hardy they are for a journey like that.. You might be better asking in your local shops for a special order? Yes, all sold on this side

April 21, 2011
7:15 am
Stefan
Community Helper

QUOTE (Colin @ Apr 21 2011, 07:54 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't like to bet on how hardy they are for a journey like that.. You might be better asking in your local shops for a special order? Yes, all sold on this side

I won't be able to get these, I'm pretty sure. Maybe translucida at best, but I need dracula /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Let me ponder on that one.

April 29, 2011
10:43 am
Humunuku
Forum Posts: 26

I finally got hold of a bunch of these. :-)

One or two individuals looks like they wil not make it since they keep swimming upside down mainly close to the surface, but the rest is eagerly taking microworm and BBS.

I'm opting for no heater, javafern, moss, fine sand, and Oslo-tap water (>pH 7,5 >gH 1).

I've spoted a couple of big-bellied specimens that I suppose are gravid females, but need to get some macro-shots or a session with the magnifyer to be certain.

April 29, 2011
11:15 am
Stefan
Community Helper

Sounds good!!!! Good luck!!

Where did my pics go?!

April 29, 2011
1:31 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

No idea Stefan. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> I take it they're hosted elsewhere rather than uploaded directly in the thread?

Humunuku, nice find!

Cake or death?
April 29, 2011
1:36 pm
Stefan
Community Helper

I did the [img][/img] by hand and not even the code's there...?! I'll edit my post.

August 6, 2011
9:33 pm
Mark N
Forum Posts: 20

My group of dracula have produced some fry! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

They are kept in a 28cm square tank with a sand substrate and a piece of bogwood with plant attached. A sponge filter is set with a slow flow rate.
PH around neutral, temp. mid 70's (although the fish house has recently been up to 85 in the hot weather).
I feed BBS, finely chopped frozen foods and powdered flake.
I haven't seen them spawn or noticed any eggs (despite regular checks with a magnifying glass).
About six fry were seen swimming around the outflow from the filter. The adults don't appear to take too much notice, but when they get too close, the fry scatter.

I will keep a closer eye on them to see if I can establish where the eggs are laid.

Cheers, Mark

August 7, 2011
9:17 am
pablito
Veteran
Forum Posts: 152

[quote name='Mark N' date='Aug 6 2011, 10:16 PM' post='31493']
My group of dracula have produced some fry! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Well done Mark. Keep us posted on developments please.

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1258

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099