PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Filtration/ Capacity For 568liter
August 19, 2009
5:29 pm
Reva
Veteran
Forum Posts: 381
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi guys, With the big tank i recieved two Emperor 400 bio wheel filters. I put my two Rena filstar XP2 filters with established bacteria on the tank, and one of the Emperor's. Is this enough, or should I add the other Emperor? I am unsure now about tank capacity and have fear of overstocking.

In the tank at present are 8 Rainbows, only three of which are 3" and the rest small, 2 Ctenopoma, one only half grown, 2 parrot cichlids the size of large oranges, 2 plecos about 5" each , 3 pictus, the feather fin syno, the siamensis cat (all full grown) and ten botia, all small breeds except for the one large clown

I have an empty 189 liter and the other Emperor 400 filter...what do you guys say?

August 19, 2009
7:46 pm
Eyrie
Veteran
Forum Posts: 571

Providing the current isn't too strong, you can't overfilter. What are the Renas and Emperors rated at in terms of volume per hour?

BTW there shouldn't be any mini-cycle since you've moved the existing filters over. Just give it a couple of weeks however before adding any more fish.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
August 19, 2009
9:38 pm
Reva
Veteran
Forum Posts: 381

The Emperor 400 filters 400 US gallons per hour (1500liters) and the Rena's each do 300 gallons per hour (1135 liters).

The thing is, I took one of the Rena's off of a 140 liter tank of tetras (small load for this filter), and put it on the big tank. I broke down the 140 completely, took large fish out of both of the 189 liter tanks (broke one down completely), took one Rena off of the 189 I broke down, and put the tetras in the existing 189. So that Rena's load was decreased and the one off of the 140 was increased. I guess I could add the second Emperor on to the big tank.

From what I have described, do you think the big tank is overcrowded? btw, I added beneficial bacteria to the new gravel and the Emperor, because I wasnt sure and better safe than sorry. Still there is a slight haze to the water, but no nitrites or ammonia spike

August 20, 2009
6:05 am
Bluedave
Veteran
Forum Posts: 777

Hi Reva,

So far youve got 6.6x turnover on there - thats fine for most tanks unless you have fish that require a strong current. Also planted tanks could do with a bit more flow (10x turnover or more is all the rage nowadays!).They all have decent capacity for media as well.

If you want to put the other filter on then it will do no harm but if you want to use it for something else then that wouldn't be an issue.

In terms of stocking, a 'quick rule of thumb' is 1" per UK gallon. To be honest I find that you can put more than that in, depending on what your keeping and the amount of filtration.

Another good rule of thumb, which is a bit more accurate, is 1" of fish for every 75cm2 of tank area. These are both just quick rules of thumb - ultimately your water quality will tell you if you are overstocked.

So 569 litres is 125 UK gallons - thats roughly 125" of fish. From your descriptions you've got roughly 95-100" of fish? However you've got a few fish that will get big and most of your fish are not fully grown? So you might need to eventually move some of the fish over to another tank (which Botia species?).

In fact thinking about it, with the larger, messier fish you have you may well be best off putting on that extra filter (I didn't read your fish list properly to start with /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="Laugh" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> )!

August 20, 2009
7:03 pm
Eyrie
Veteran
Forum Posts: 571

I'd disagree with any rule that states "for x you can keep 1 inch of fish length". Reductio ad absurdum, that would mean a 12" clown loach or a dozen neon tetras in a 12 gallon tank.

It's better to consider 1 cubic inch of fish, but even that needs tempered with a healthy dose of common sense.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
August 21, 2009
8:29 am
Bluedave
Veteran
Forum Posts: 777

I'd agree, which is why I pointed out that they are quick rules of thumb - they are a good starting point that's all.

Common sense and the needs of particular fish should overide them.

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Phone (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1253

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099