PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Fluval 204 In A 60l Tank?
March 15, 2010
6:59 pm
Saxodave
Forum Posts: 80
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello. I am looking for some advice regarding the use of a Fluval 204 and a Juwel Rekord 60 tank. I would like to have as much space in the tank as possible so I am quite keen to lose the Juwel corner filter set-up. Would the Fluval be too powerful to use bearing in mind I was thinking of setting up a planted community tank? Or could I set up a plantless tank and if so, which fish would thrive? Thank you.

March 15, 2010
7:57 pm
Bluedave
Veteran
Forum Posts: 777

The fluval 204 would be fine for a 60 litre planted tank. If memory serves me correctly the 204 kicks out about 650 lph - so thats just shy of 11 times turnover. 10 times turnover is the general consensus for planted aquaria nowadays.

I always think that planted tanks are better for the fish than unplanted - they are natural filters. You don't need plants if ou don't want them though - entirely up to you.

Welcome to SF by the way.

March 15, 2010
10:13 pm
Saxodave

Thanks for that reply and your welcome to SF. It has put my mind at rest as I did have the thought that the 204 would turn the tank into a whirlpool! I will now go ahead and buy some new media for it. I will also definitely press on with a planted tank, bearing in mind there is just one 15W T8 tube in this tank.

March 16, 2010
12:27 pm
Bluedave
Veteran

With just the one tube you need to make sure you don't get plants that need loads of light.

Most plants will do ok in that tank though, if you start off with some fast growing plants then you should avoid any major algae issues. Things like elodea, cabomba, hygrophilia, and limnophilia are all good to start off with - you can always replace them with slower growing plants at a later stage when the tank has settled..

Also remember to check the size of the plants that you are buying! Things like crinums and Echinodorus Bleheri will grow too tall.

A good mix of plants for a Rekord 60 would be Hygophilia and limnophilia in the background, Ech. parviflorus or quadricostatus and some mid sized crypts (becketti?)in the mid ground and some anubias nana in the forground. You could also get some eleocharis for the front which looks like grass. all those plants grow well with lowish light, few nutrients and no CO2 addition.

Good luck and keep us posted (pics are always welcome)!

March 16, 2010
7:03 pm
Saxodave

This is just the information I need to ensure I start of on the right foot with this tank. I will folllow your plant recommendations and will post pics as soon as I begin setting up. (At the moment I am 'in negotiatons' regarding space in the house - to be resolved by this weekend!) I hope to be getting going with this pretty soon.

Just one other point; do you suggest I use one of the soil-like substrates available or will pure gravel be okay?

March 17, 2010
6:44 pm
Bluedave
Veteran

If your going to have a lot of plants then the 'soil like' substrates can help but they are not essential, a fine gravel with some root tablets will be fine. A liquid fertiliser applied every few days will help as well.

March 17, 2010
11:30 pm
Saxodave

Thanks Bluedave.

March 18, 2010
10:13 am
Bluedave
Veteran

Nema problema, you thought about what fish you want yet?

March 18, 2010
10:27 pm
Saxodave

I have certainly been thinking of fish but have not fully decided yet. Glowlight danios, Harlequins, Cardinals, Swordtails and Corydoras are all on my list. I would also like to consider Dwarf Chain Loaches if they are a possibility.

A greater number of smaller fish would be preferable to fewer larger ones but I am not too concerned so long as they are happy in the tank.

March 19, 2010
8:33 am
Bluedave
Veteran

Nice choice of fish. Sids are wicked little fish - very boisterous but not aggressive. You may find that they occasionaly uproot plants but generally they are not too big to do any damage. They are best kept in shoals of at least five.

You can keep about 24" of fish in your tank (assuming regular water changes).

Corydoras (and sids) will need a fine substrate to protect their barbels (sand or a fine rounded gravel). If you go for sids I would leave out the corys as you want to spread the action around the tank - both od those fish are bottom feeders.

From your list I would choose 2 of the top/mid swimmers and get a couple of shoals as well as a shoal of sids - if it was me I would go for 5 Sids, 6 Cardinals and 10 harlequins. Thats just over 24" but you should be fine with that. If you wanted a larger shoal of cardinals then drop to 3 sids but thats a minimum for these very social fish. You can substitute danios or swordtails for the cardinals if you'd prefer.

Hope that helps

March 19, 2010
7:09 pm
Saxodave

I like your suggestions and will probably aim for the cardinals, sids and harlequins mix. It should make a colourful and attractive display. Thanks.

April 10, 2010
9:33 pm
Saxodave

I know it's been a while but I have finally got my tank in position. I have been fighting with the Fluval's ribbed hoses, trying to make them stay where I want them to but so far without much success! Is there any way to regain a rubber sucker's 'suckerness' once it goes hard? boiling in hot water?

I have also been thinking about how to landscape the back of the tank. I am tempted to buy one of the pre-formed backgrounds such as those from Juwel or Marina. The other option is to make my own. I thought about trying an idea I have seen where small pieces of slate are glued to the back wall of the aquarium to make an effective backdrop. If I were to do this I think I would glue them to a piece of perspex which I would then drop into position and spot glue in place. Do you think that could work? I have plenty of silicone as I have just bought a 310ml tube of Aqua Seal.

April 26, 2010
9:27 pm
Saxodave

Hello. I hope you don't mind me sending you a message direct but it has been a while since I enquired about setting up my Juwel rekord 60 tank ('Fluval 204 in a 60L tank' link). I have attached a photo of my progress so far having just switched on the heater and filter. I will be adding plants later this week. I opted for a Marina background, pale 2mm gravel, black stones and two pieces of bogwood.

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found]

April 27, 2010
7:18 am
Bluedave
Veteran

Looking good mate - i like the background. Some nice bits of bogwood and a good arrangement of stones - will look great when you've got your plants in there. Some taller ones at the back to hide your hoses and a few smaller ones interspersed around the stones would look great.

Keep us updated with pics.

I'm assuming you sorted your rubber sucker problem? If not I would just go out and buy a couple more as they are dirt cheap rather than trying to sort out the ones you've got.

April 27, 2010
7:13 pm
Saxodave

Thanks for your comments. I may yet switch the heater to the other side of the tank so that I can bank the gravel onthe right-hand side from front to back. The piece of bogwood on the right has been siliconed to a piece of slate to make it stand up.
My only concern at the moment is the ferocity of the water flow in the tank from the flared inlet. I suppose once the tank is full of plants this will dissipate the flow to some extent although even with the flow reduced it is a little 'washing-machine' like in there at the moment.
You're right - I did go and buy new suckers in the end!
I'll post another photo once the plants are in place.

April 27, 2010
7:33 pm
Bluedave
Veteran

If you want to break the flow up a bit then you could use a longer spray bar.

Looking forward to the pics.

May 1, 2010
11:08 am
Saxodave

Right. Have just put my plants in the tank. I suppose I cheated a bit and bought a package of 25 mixed plants, not realising that they would come unlabelled. Oh well, I'll see what grows well and move them around if they are in the wrong places.
I noticed some grey wispy/fluffy growth on some of my stones as I turned them over. Is this bad? There has been nothing in the tank other than decor, heater and filter up to now.
I have attached a couple of pics of what the tank looks like as of 5 minutes ago!

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found]

May 1, 2010
6:51 pm
Bluedave
Veteran

Looks really good mate, the fluff is probably just a bit of fungus - di you boil the stones first before adding them? Just wash it off.

People can ID your plants if you like - i'll do it tomorrow though if thats alright with you as i've just got back from the football and have had one or two sherbets!

May 1, 2010
7:49 pm
Bluedave
Veteran

Right, I know I said I'd do it tomorrow but the missus is watching bloomin' x-factor! so from left to right - Limnophilia sp. (probably sessiflora), rotala sp (not sure which one right now), then egeria densa at the back with hygrophilia sp. in front, then one that looks like stinging nettles (?!) not sure of, and finally echinodorus (looks like bleheri through my beer glasses) with more egeria in front.

Just waiting for Match of the Day now to see how many penalties Clattenberg should have given us ( I reckon at least two.....).

May 1, 2010
8:15 pm
Saxodave

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't boil the stones although I did wash them really well.
That's really good of you to ID the plants for me, I always like to know the names of everything! I don't know if you can see it but there are two quite large plants at the back left, just the top visible by the filter intake stem. See pic below I took of each plant after unwrapping.

[Image Can Not Be Found]
I would like to see if I could get a small plant to tie to the bogwood on the right as I have seen some people do. Is there a small(ish) plant you could recommend?
Hope you haven't been cheated on the penalty front!

Attached files

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1257