PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Heating a 125 Gallon Aquarium
September 14, 2012
3:35 am
Canadian Fish
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Would I be better off getting a Marineland 400 Watt heater, which is rated for up to 125 gallons, or getting two Marineland 300 Watt heaters, rated up to 65 Gallons each.

My thinking is, if I have the two 300 watt heaters, if one goes the other will keep the water warm enough to buy me some time to get a new heater.

I live in Canada and it's going in my basement, so heating is important.

Thanks!

September 14, 2012
6:39 pm
Eyrie
Veteran
Forum Posts: 571

I'd agree with your thinking on getting two heaters - definitely the way forward.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
September 14, 2012
9:10 pm
Plaamoo
Bellingham, Washington U.S.A.
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1257

Agree 2 is better than 1 for the reason you stated, also can be difficult to spread the heat around a 6 ft tank. One at each end will serve you better IMO. I like the new Eheims much better than Marineland but that's just me.

September 15, 2012
9:06 am
Rüdiger
Brunswick / Germany
Veteran
Forum Posts: 349

Completely agree with the above and just like to add that I wouldn't ever trust one 400 W heater in a 125 gallon to get me fish cosy in a Canadian basement come winter. Never mind how optimistically it's rated!
Regards
R.

If you must insist on living in a box ...... at least do your thinking outside.
September 21, 2012
4:15 am
Canadian Fish
Forum Posts: 38

Planning on going with 2 x Jager TruTemp Submersible Heater - 300 W

Recommended for tanks 159-264 Gallon.

I may actually be getting a 220 gallon tank now instead, but if these ratings are accurate they should be enough for either tank.

September 21, 2012
10:42 am
KittyKat
Norwich, UK
Forum Posts: 32

I agree with two heaters. As a general rule of thumb, I recommend at least two internal heaters for tanks over 3 ft long. Normally I would recommend two 250 W heaters if the tank was kept in a warm area, but given that it will be in an area that is likely to become cold, two 300 W heaters will be wise and it is a good idea to keep one spare, even if it is a second hand one, as long as it works.

In terms of getting even heat distribution, I have found that two external filters work well, where each one takes in water from opposite sides and outlets it on the side that the other one takes in.

My preferred brands of heaters are Visitherm for glass ones as they are short for the wattage and come with guards and NeWatt for ceramic ones (they are useful if one or one's fish have a tendency to break glass heaters). Both are also the most reliable brands that I have ever used, the latter seems to be indestructible.

Kat
September 21, 2012
3:32 pm
Plaamoo
Bellingham, Washington U.S.A.
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1257

Just a note about the Eheim heaters. It took 2 marineland 200w to keep the temp up in my 75gal. 1 Eheim 200w handled it easily. I have another now just for safety's sake but for quite a while it was just one. They seem to be under rated temp-wise.

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1257

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099