PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
150 Coldwater
December 12, 2010
4:49 pm
kizno1
Forum Posts: 52
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Well i was planning on setting my 150G up as tropical but the only place we have room for it is in the garage and even with 800w of heater and 2 1/2 thick Styrofoam on the back an sides i cant get the temp above 22c it would be fine in the summer but way to cold in the winter. I could add more heaters but i think its just going to cost a fortune. So until i have enough room to move the tank inside im going to set it up as coldwater. Any ideas that could work? Im happy to leave 1 or 2 300W heaters in the tank through winter to keep the tank at say 15c and in the summer the tank should be fine without them. I had though about doing a river tank with roach, rudd, tench ect but i think eventually all will get to big or to active.

Cheers.

December 12, 2010
6:22 pm
Mark Duffill
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1012

Weather loaches and Bitterling seem to be readily available at the moment and both look good in groups, quite a few shops sell the Rosy minnows as well which are lovely in a tank

December 12, 2010
6:28 pm
kizno1

Cheers. I was thinking along the lines of some bigger fish though.
Do you think the river tank could work with say 1 Golden tench, 1 Perch, 4 Rudd or something like that?
If not i might go for snakeheads.

December 13, 2010
8:10 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin
Forum Posts: 8239

What are the dimensions of the tank?

Cake or death?
December 13, 2010
11:27 am
kizno1

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 13 2010, 07:53 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Its 5x2x2'

December 13, 2010
2:01 pm
Mark Duffill
Community Helper

The perch are a lovely sight in a tank, I can personally vouch for that but they do better and look a lot better in groups. The good thing about perch is that they will accept carnovire pellets and trout pellets etc and their diet can be supplimented with frozen foods like midge larvae, crystal shrimps, mysis etc.

Tench dont tend to do well in tanks, I do think they need lots of detritus to sift through which wouldnt be a good look in a tank. If you are looking for a bottom fish Gudgeon are a good choice, lovely looking fish and I have bred them several times when kept in tanks and again look lovely in a group.

December 13, 2010
2:13 pm
kizno1

QUOTE (Mark Duffill @ Dec 13 2010, 01:44 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
The perch are a lovely sight in a tank, I can personally vouch for that but they do better and look a lot better in groups. The good thing about perch is that they will accept carnovire pellets and trout pellets etc and their diet can be supplimented with frozen foods like midge larvae, crystal shrimps, mysis etc.

Tench dont tend to do well in tanks, I do think they need lots of detritus to sift through which wouldnt be a good look in a tank. If you are looking for a bottom fish Gudgeon are a good choice, lovely looking fish and I have bred them several times when kept in tanks and again look lovely in a group.

Cheers
I thought the tench might not work but worth asking.
I do love perch there on of my favourite fish to catch but the problem is wont they eventually get to big and i have no clue what to do with a group of large perch.
Im thinking maybe going for Ruffe instead.
Maybe
8 Ruffe
10 Bleak
and a large shoal of Gudgeon and Minnows
Any other ideas on what could work?
Do you know if its legal in the UK to take fish from rivers for aquariums?

Cheers

December 13, 2010
6:11 pm
Mark Duffill
Community Helper

Perch are fairly slow growers in tanks so I think it would be a few years before they started getting to big, perch will always sell easily on sales sites or ebay for bigger tanks or ponds.

The problem I see with the ruffe is that they are a lot more sensitive than the perch and wont take pellets etc, I aquired a few for a friend of mine and after initially losing most of them the rest he had for a couple of years but they wouldnt take anything other than maggots or worm.

I wouldnt like to say 100% about the legality of removing fish but I was told some time ago that if they are taken from a prolific river for the use of live bait then that is fine or at least tolerated, the problem comes when taking live bait from club waters which is usually not allowed /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

December 13, 2010
6:37 pm
kizno1

Fair enough ill go for perch then. do you know anywhere where i could buy some or would it be best to catch them?

The place where i normally fish isnt owned by a club and has a large number or perch, Minnows, Gudgeon, pike ect.

Do you think if i got say 5 perch and a large number of gudgeon and minnows there would be a chance they would mange to live for a while without getting eaten and maybe breed?

December 13, 2010
7:39 pm
Mark Duffill
Community Helper

I dont know of anywhere that sells small numbers of fish like perch, personally I would be tempted to aquire my live bait /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

If you get perch around the 2" to 3" size which would be most likely last years young then I think the minnows and gudgeon would be fine and by the time the perch would be big enough to eat them they should be happily munching pellets etc and may not be to bothered and the others should have chance to spawn.

I would recommend a very fine gravel sand mix substrate wih plenty of large cobbles and piles of small cobbles/pebbles which will give youngsters a chance to find a bit of safety, Aponogeton distyachos would be a good plant to try and get hold of or a dwarf pond lilly.

December 13, 2010
7:51 pm
Colin
Veteran
Forum Posts: 791

How about Channa? You could have some nice subtrops in there like pulchra, ornatipinnis, asiatica, aurantimaculata... some of these can go as low as 14 or 15C in the winter and a max of about 23 or 24 in the summer.

I have a coldwater tank on a windowsill which has nine spined sticklebacks, white clouds and cherry shrimps and is currently sitting at about 15C. All are doing well and the shrimp are still breeding /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

cheers

December 13, 2010
7:51 pm
kizno1

Fair enough. Ill have to see what i cant catch then but it might not be to easy because most of the perch that you normally catch in my river are a good 5-6". Theres a lake i used to fish with 100s of 2-3" it used to drive me crazy because they would swallow baits and hooks way to big for them but since thats privately owned i wouldnt be able to take them from there.

What sort of numbers would you recommend i get?

Yeah thats pretty much what i was planning. Ive also got alot of wood i was planning on using so that a few rocks and sand gravel mix should do the job.

December 13, 2010
7:54 pm
kizno1

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 13 2010, 07:34 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about Channa? You could have some nice subtrops in there like pulchra, ornatipinnis, asiatica, aurantimaculata... some of these can go as low as 14 or 15C in the winter and a max of about 23 or 24 in the summer.

I have a coldwater tank on a windowsill which has nine spined sticklebacks, white clouds and cherry shrimps and is currently sitting at about 15C. All are doing well and the shrimp are still breeding /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

cheers

I had been thinking about them, I was thinking Channa asiatica, stewarti vars or Fire & ice. The only thing is there all quite expensive and i dont really have the money when i will need to buy atleast 6 to get a pair.

December 14, 2010
8:06 am
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

If you fancy Channa try to find someone breeding them and you might be able to pick up a group quite cheaply. Not sure you've enough space to house perch indefinitely there.

Cake or death?
December 14, 2010
10:59 am
Colin
Veteran

asiatica are the cheapest on that list and can be sourced for about a fiver each, bleheri about a tenner and gachua can also take the cooler temps, again probably average about a tenner... okay, its not as much fun as catching your own LOL

cheers /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

December 14, 2010
12:45 pm
kizno1

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 14 2010, 10:42 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
asiatica are the cheapest on that list and can be sourced for about a fiver each, bleheri about a tenner and gachua can also take the cooler temps, again probably average about a tenner... okay, its not as much fun as catching your own LOL

cheers /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Haha, before i decide on what type i want im going to have a look round for a breeder because my LFS want £30 for the Asiatica and £40 for the Bleheri

December 14, 2010
12:50 pm
Colin
Veteran

ouch!!!!!

if you decide to go down the Channa route give me a shout!

December 14, 2010
1:31 pm
kizno1

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 14 2010, 12:33 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
ouch!!!!!

if you decide to go down the Channa route give me a shout!

ATM its looking that way but once ive finished making the lid ill let you know, Cheers.

January 29, 2011
11:40 am
kizno1

Some on has suggested Gymnogeophagus to me because they need a cool period. Do all of them need cool periods or is it just a few types? What types would work best? In the winter i could keep the water about 15c with a 300w heater and in the summer about 25c. Oddballs express have quite a few different ones in for good prices so i would probably get 8-10 to start of with.

January 29, 2011
1:09 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin

That would be a good choice and yes they experience an annual cool period in nature.

Cake or death?
Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1257

mikev: 1134