PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Aqua Flow 200 Filter
May 11, 2011
10:20 am
StevePat
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Guy's
I have been looking too take the plunge and buy a Tropical fish tank, for a while now. So i finally did last week after months of research & trawling these forums which has some great advice thanks everyone.
I bought a Aqua one 60L tank some gravel, live plant's, Heater and the tank came with a Aqua Flow 200 filter. My question is the manufacturer recommends that you replace the filter every month, after reading about "Cycling a tank" it seems that most of the good bacteria is in the filter, so if i change the filter/sponge won't i lose all the goodness that i have built up?
I have also read that you can open up the sponge and just add some new carbon and keep on using the same sponge does anyone else have any experience with this filter?
Any advice would be greatly received thanks.

May 11, 2011
11:02 am
Bluedave
Veteran
Forum Posts: 777

yep, don't replace the sponge, wash it out once a month or so in tank water not tap water.

You can add new carbon or get rid of the carbon altogether and replace it with another sponge.

May 11, 2011
11:23 am
StevePat
Forum Posts: 2

QUOTE (Bluedave @ May 11 2011, 11:45 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep, don't replace the sponge, wash it out once a month or so in tank water not tap water.

You can add new carbon or get rid of the carbon altogether and replace it with another sponge.

Thanks for the quick reply, just as i thought just needed someone more experienced to confirm it for me. Shame my partner bought me 6 months worth of filters for my birthday! guess i could open up the sponges and take the carbon out.

Thanks again

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1257

mikev: 1134