March 19, 2014
I'm wondering is anyone would be able to help me. We have a betta male, we got him from my son's school in a 5l fishbowl (no filter, no heater, one plant, 3 stones), so decided to upgrade him to a nicer and warmer home. As our house temp is around 18-20C at the moment, he seems to be a bit lethargic (yes, cold...) and doesn't move much, so I think we need to move him quickly.
I'm looking at a 40l tank .
1. TANK - I'm deciding between these 2 tanks (they are probably much of a muchness), but maybe someone has experience with either of them?
oops I'm not allowed to post links, so the choices are:
Love Fish Panorama Tank 40 Litre from petsathome .com
Interpet Insight Aquarium 40 from seapets.co.uk
First one is acrylic, second glass, which is better?
2. HEATER, the first doesn't come with a heater, so would need to get one. (Or happy to replace the other if not adequate)
Any brand recommendations?
50W or 100W?
What to look out for?
3. FILTER - I understand betta don't like current. Do I need to do anything to the filter included in these kits or should they be ok?
4. WATER - Do I need to cycle the tank?? After reading various websites, I thought it was necessary, but then I read that I don't have to as he is not in a proper tank anyway. Obviously, that would be better, than waiting 6 more weeks for the new tank to be ready. Do I use any of the old water / move the stones? (sorry if my questions seem very basic, but I really don't know where to start, what's best & quickest way to sort him out!)
5. CLEANING - At the moment I clean & change water weekly, preserving about 30% of water (as I was told). With new / bigger tank, filter, heater etc, how & how often should I clean it?
6. PLANTS - which ones would you recommend? He is just permanently parked near the surface - doesn't even rest on the plant he has. It's a silk plant, but I would prefer to get real plants.
7. What to put at the bottom? Sand? Gravel? Do they like caves & arches? Ours doesn't come near the bottom.
8. FOOD - what's the best food (to get him healthier / happy again)?
I think that's all for now, any help will be much appreciated!
May 2, 2012
for a single Betta, these tanks are not bad at all, certainly a huge step forward from a 5 Litre bowl!
Personally I'd always go for glass over acrylic. If nothing else, they're at least a bit more scratch resistant.
50 Watts heater is absolutely sufficiant. Make sure it's adjustable i.e. a heater stat and if it does have a guard, all the better.
For a single Betta male in a tank that size I wouldn't even bother with a filter. A 30% water change every other week will do just fine.
As far as plants are concerned, I'd go for some suface vegetation and one broad leaved plant e.g. Echinodorus bleheri or perhaps a broad leaved java fern.
For the bottom you can use either sand or gravel or play around with a mix of both. No need to worry about caves and arches as long as you put plants in there, that's all he needs to hide and rest. If you like, you can add a nice piece of driftwood or similar but that's just cosmetics.
Food: A good variety is important. I'd suggest live food at the very least once a week, preferably more. Then you can top up with frozen mosquito larvae and such and a good quality dry food such as flakes or granules. Be careful not to feed too much, as they are prone to fatten up quite quickly.
Hope that was of help to you.
Most Users Ever Online: 246
Currently Browsing this Page:
Devices in use: Desktop (1)
Mark Duffill: 1012
Guest Posters: 0
Newest Members: Midraj, vy5e, Nunduun, andrewmarco, uksub
Administrators: dunc: 1323, Matt: 8239