PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
JEBO 835 100GA filter & first cleaning
September 15, 2014
5:06 am
imaztribabe
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I set up my 60GA tank on 2/12/14.. It is planted but not heavily.. I am using API C02 Booster & Excel Flourish, along with API Root Tabs as I cannot afford a C02 system yet (still looking for a job). There has only been a couple of causalities so far, and none of them my original fish from my 50GA tank.. Even the three goldfish I put into the tank to prime it, are still growing!. All total, I have (5) yoo-yoo loaches, (3) clown loaches, (2) algae eaters, (3) gold fish, (3) red-line torpedoes, (1) full-grown angel, and (1) rosbora. So far so good, but I do have a question. I installed a JEBO 835 100GA cannister filter and I am about to do my first cleaning. I have asked several people and they mentioned that I could get about 6 months out of the first set-up before I would need to clean it. While doing some plant pruning, I noticed that the return tube water pressure wasn't very strong. I figured its time.. Does anyone else use the JEBO filter foam or just any piece of foam? I have never used a cannister before and plan to just change the carbon and the top piece of foam. The filter media and bio foam I will not touch as I do understand that is where my biologicals reside.. If you do use the JEBO filter foam pads, any suggestions as to where the best place to buy them? Thank you all for the help.. Laugh

September 15, 2014
11:06 pm
Byron Hosking
Veteran
Forum Posts: 152
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

First let me say that I am not familiar with the named filter, but canisters generally behave the same whatever the brand.  I have two Eheim Pro II and a Rena Filstar III.  How often you need to clean the filter somewhat depends upon the tank's fish load and plants.  I find that my Eheim can go 4-5 months, but the Rena about 2 months before they begin to clog sufficiently that the flow is noticeably slowing.  It should be cleaned before this stage is reached.  After all, the filter is intended to trap suspended particulate matter, and provide a decent water flow throughout the tank.  I now do the Rena every 4-6 weeks, and the Eheims every 3 months.

Rinse all media (the "hard" stuff) and rinse or replace the pads.  I find that the white fine pads tend to lose their shape with rinsing, so I just replace them.  Biological filtration will occur with or without the filter in an established planted tank.  Dr. Neale Monks has written that there is a greater colony of bacteria including nitrifying in the substrate than the filter in most tanks.  And of course, plants do a better job of biological filtration anyway, so let them do the work for you.  I rinse my media under the tap, and always have, with the fore-going in mind.

Carbon in a planted tank is usually frowned on, as carbon will remove needed nutrients such as DOC.  Obviously, the carbon becomes useless once it has adsorbed to its max, but except in a new tank (yours is now established) or following medications, I would not use carbon in the filter.

I would caution you on the fish load.  Clown loaches need a much larger tank, a six-foot (some would suggest five-foot the minimum) so you may want to consider re-homing these if a much larger tank is not planned, and fairly soon.  Fish develop as they grow, and this is continually, and the growing space (physical space but water quality too) must be adequate.  They will very quickly outgrow their present tank.  Rasbora should be in a group, no less than 7-8 for what I assume is Trigonostigma heteromorpha, with more better; the species in this genus do better with more of them, not for aggressive reasons but just social/health.  Goldfish are not tropical and should not be in with tropicals requiring warmth as some of these do.  Torpedo barbs also get large and need a group of I believe 8, check Matt's profile here.

Hope this is of help to you.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA Vancouver, BC Canada
Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567