PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
New 120 Gallon Tank Stock Ideas
January 24, 2012
2:15 pm
Akran
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'm getting a 60x24x19" 120 Gallon tank from a co-worker for an absolute steal, but I need some help for stocking ideas.

Right now I am thinking a Rainbow Shark, 6-8 Polka-Dot Loaches, and a Pleco (not sure which species specifically, probably something that doesn't get much bigger than 10-12").

Obviously I have my benthic zone covered, so I need some ideas for stocking the mid and upper regions of the tank. Some ideas I had were Angelfish, Buenos Aires Tetras, Arulius Barbs, Rams, and/or Firemouth Cichlids. Anyone have other suggestions?

Also, I plan on getting a large canister filter (perhaps the Marineland C-530). Will this be sufficient filtration, or should I plan on getting a power filter to supplement?

March 3, 2012
1:49 pm
donovan
Forum Posts: 42

QUOTE (Akran @ Jan 24 2012, 07:58 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm getting a 60x24x19" 120 Gallon tank from a co-worker for an absolute steal, but I need some help for stocking ideas.

Right now I am thinking a Rainbow Shark, 6-8 Polka-Dot Loaches, and a Pleco (not sure which species specifically, probably something that doesn't get much bigger than 10-12").

Obviously I have my benthic zone covered, so I need some ideas for stocking the mid and upper regions of the tank. Some ideas I had were Angelfish, Buenos Aires Tetras, Arulius Barbs, Rams, and/or Firemouth Cichlids. Anyone have other suggestions?

Also, I plan on getting a large canister filter (perhaps the Marineland C-530). Will this be sufficient filtration, or should I plan on getting a power filter to supplement?

angelfish cant do rainbow sharks, in my oldest tank, i had 2 rainbows, 6 angels, and a school of hatchets. the rainbows and angels went into some kind of war constantly attacking each other.
how big do buenos aires tetras get?if they are less than 4 to5 centimeters your rainbow might eat them
i think it looks pretty good other than that.
if i could make a suggestion on the top layer of the tank, i have seen schools of redhooks only at the top, also pearl gouramies and if you can find them, large bettas such as dragonscale and moonscale provided you have plenty of floating plants

March 3, 2012
6:29 pm
Plaamoo
Bellingham, Washington U.S.A.
Community Helper
Forum Posts: 1256

I'd stick with the b. kubotai , a pair of bristlenose, & a school of arulias barbs. Delete the shark, no angels, bettas, gouramis for sure.

I'm not familiar with that filter but I'd have at least 2 on a tank that long, plus a powerhead. You could get 2 eheim 2217 for the same price. One at each end.

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1256

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099