PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Shark Fish Options For 350l With Community Fish
April 10, 2012
8:42 pm
Michelle and Rich
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi all,

Just want some input really and suggestions. Would love to introduce a shark fish in my aquarium but not sure whats available. the thing that attracts me to these fish types are the shark like shape but i'm aware that some fish can lose this shape as they grow. my other concerns are tank size (350L) and my current fish, guppies, platys, tetras, ram cichlids, clown loach, zebra pleco L129, burmese loach.

any suggestions welcome
thanks

michelle and rich

April 11, 2012
6:43 pm
Eyrie
Veteran
Forum Posts: 571

To be honest I'm not sure there are any. 350L is too small for silver sharks, and both red tailed black sharks and rainbow sharks are too territorial for your existing stock.

As an aside, clown loaches need a bigger tank as well. That may be your best solution - if you have the space and the floor strength, invest in a larger tank (at least 600L) and you'd be able to get a small group of silver sharks.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
April 11, 2012
7:06 pm
Matt
Málaga, Spain
Admin
Forum Posts: 8239

Or maybe a Crossocheilus species? They look similar to and are related to the species Eyrie mentioned but are generally peaceful and aren't commonly referred to as 'sharks'. C. reticulatus is particularly nice-looking.

Out of interest, what are the approximate base dimensions of the tank?

Cake or death?
April 11, 2012
9:01 pm
Michelle and Rich
Forum Posts: 7

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 11 2012, 07:49 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or maybe a Crossocheilus species? They look similar to and are related to the species Eyrie mentioned but are generally peaceful and aren't commonly referred to as 'sharks'. C. reticulatus is particularly nice-looking.

Out of interest, what are the approximate base dimensions of the tank?

hi , its a juwel trigon 350, 54 " x 34 " x 34 " . height 24. its a corner unit.

December 9, 2012
1:41 pm
thatgirl1593
Forum Posts: 1

Rainbow ruby sharks and Silver sharks can be ok in a community tank, although with guppies, platys and neons you would have to be careful. A bigger tank may be a good idea, and i agree with Eyrie on that the clown loach will need a larger tank as they do get quite large. But i would definitely avoid red tail black sharks as they are much more territorial.

If you do get sharks, avoid having a group of them as this can encourage them to form a pack and hunt the other fish in the tank; like they would in the wild.

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Phone (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1253

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099