PROFILESEARCH

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Water Change On 275l Tank...
November 15, 2011
7:04 pm
Daddyfish
Forum Posts: 80
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Guys,

I'll be getting a Fluval Profile 1000 soon after Xmas which holds 275L and my question is…how do I deal with water changes?

I currently only have my son's 60L tank which I keep a 20L bottle (1/3 of capacity) for changing water weekly. Going by that method I would need a water vessel which holds 90+ litres!!! I'm obviously being slow here…aren't I? There must be something I'm missing…right? There must be some other method…surely? If there is can you guys let me in on the secret?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Neil

November 15, 2011
8:38 pm
Eyrie
Veteran
Forum Posts: 571

I use a python water changer for my two larger tanks and buckets for the smaller two. Not sure if you can still get this in the UK though.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
November 15, 2011
9:19 pm
ender2811
Veteran
Forum Posts: 161

If you don't mess with the water in any way, then just a hose connected to your tap and add the water conditioner to your tank at the same time. If you do alter your water (maybe adding RO or something), and u have to use buckets then u could invest in a water pump to get it into your tank.

November 15, 2011
10:42 pm
Daddyfish

Ok, thanks for the replies guys!

Eyrie:
I can't seem to find anything so far, but what does it actually do…it looks like it just fills from the tap?

Ender2811:
Is the chlorine in the water gonna damage bacteria and tank inhabitants?

November 15, 2011
10:56 pm
poshsouthernbird
Forum Posts: 130

May I link to another forum? I won't be at all offended if anyone wants to moderate out the link /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I use the following method myself, between me and a few other forum members we've got it down to a fine art and someone very kindly put it into an article for us:

click me

HTH /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

www.injaf.org
November 16, 2011
9:02 am
Daddyfish

Thanks PSB…I've taken some good ideas from that article and I believe I now have my method figured out!

Cheers Guys!

November 16, 2011
9:30 am
ender2811
Veteran
Forum Posts: 161

Chlorine can be damaging if the concentration is high enough. The good thing is that it evaporates from water very quickly so the agitation of the water actually coming out of the pipework is usually enough to get rid of it. There is however a compound called chloramine which is also used for water treatment and it has a longer retention time so u do need a conditioner to get rid of that. You can check with your water board to find out exactly whats in your water.
There was a thread on here about the usefulness of water conditioners and it seems a number of people don't use them at all.

As for the python, it does just fill from the tap. The cool thing is that u can use it to clean your gravel without having to stop every 2 min and empty buckets. If u can't find an original one u can make a pretty decent DIY version for a fraction of the cost.

November 16, 2011
11:02 am
Bully
South Wales
Veteran
Forum Posts: 249

The only UK equivalent of the Python that I'm aware of is the JBL Aqua In/Out, it's circa £50. DIY instructions are available on the internet though.

My own method when I had the freshwater tank (I changed 100 litres every 3-4 days) was pretty simple. I used a 100l water butt with a water butt pump, filled the water butt with a mixture of hold and cold water straight from the tap, then dechlorinate (opinions vary, personally I'd rather be safe than sorry and with Seachem Prime being so cost-effective I see no reason not to) and then pump the water directly in using a length of garden hose. To take the water out of the tank I would simply syphon it direct to the garden. I could do a complete 100l water change from start to finish in under 20mins, taking my time /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

November 16, 2011
3:56 pm
Daddyfish

Thanks again for the replies guys!

Bully…that was exactly my idea…I think I'll go with it! /thumbs_up.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbs_up.gif" />

Forum Timezone: Europe/Paris

Most Users Ever Online: 246

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (1)

Top Posters:

Stefan: 1567

Plaamoo: 1257

mikev: 1134

Malti: 1099