LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

14 December Is Happy Betta macrostoma Day

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes 14 December Is Happy Betta macrostoma Day

This topic contains 77 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  BigTom 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)
  • Author

Stefan

This is a new holiday made up by Colin (who else?!), and I concur with that day. That day I got my 6 Betta macrostoma ‘Brunei’ (~ 20mm F1). So without further ado, here are my first photos:

Forgive the scratches.

Matt
    Keymaster

Way cool! Now let’s see who’s the first to breed them between you and Colin!

Stefan

Well Colin’s are adult, mine aren’t, so his must be first.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Very nice Stefan! Are these the ones with the ‘electric blue” I hear about? One of the guys that works in a shop I frequent in Seattle just told me he has 2 pair of electric blue macrostoma at home. I hadn’t heard of them and couldn’t find much in a google search.

Stefan

Thanks! You may be able to just spot the whitish-bluish dorsal fin margin so maybe that’s the cause for the label you mention? Other than that it just sounds to me like yet another fancy label in order to sell fish. I haven’t discovered differences in different populations up to now and I don’t think there even are that many populations. It will be interesting to see photos of an alledgedly ‘electric blue’ mac; would you be able to obtain pics?

Colin
    Participant

Yeah, happy macrostoma day LOL

I’ll try and get some pics up soon

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 17 2010, 08:58 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yeah, happy macrostoma day LOL

I’ll try and get some pics up soon

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Dec 17 2010, 11:27 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks! You may be able to just spot the whitish-bluish dorsal fin margin so maybe that’s the cause for the label you mention? Other than that it just sounds to me like yet another fancy label in order to sell fish. I haven’t discovered differences in different populations up to now and I don’t think there even are that many populations. It will be interesting to see photos of an alledgedly ‘electric blue’ mac; would you be able to obtain pics?

I did notice the white margins on yours, and that’s what i found in pics on the net. A bit brighter and more pronounced in adults of course. I’d guess you’re right about the labeling. I only know this guy from occasionally stopping in the shop so pictures are not likely, but I will poke him for more info when I see him again.
    Look forward to more pics, stunning fish!

Stefan

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Dec 17 2010, 10:56 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I did notice the white margins on yours, and that’s what i found in pics on the net. A bit brighter and more pronounced in adults of course. I’d guess you’re right about the labeling. I only know this guy from occasionally stopping in the shop so pictures are not likely, but I will poke him for more info when I see him again.
    Look forward to more pics, stunning fish!

Great, thanks! I must admit to my remaining skeptic until I’ve actually seen them with my own eyes /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

C.Way
    Participant

congratulation

Stefan

It might be handy to list how I’m keeping them:

60 x 30 x 30cm (~54 litre) tank (1 pair will remain in there when a pair has formed)
    pH 5.1-5.2 (I’m aiming for 4.5 so I’m letting it drop slowly)
    Temperature 23.5-24 degrees Celsius
    Moderate current through an inner filter

Heavily planted with:

Bolbitis heudelotii
    Java fern
    Cryptocoryne (not identified)
    Java moss
    Anubias (the giant species)
    Glossostigma elatinoides
    Hornwort
    Duckweed

Further decorated with:

2 moderate boulders (holding the Bolbitis)
    Big coconut shell
    Ceramic cave (like half a coconut shell)

Matt
    Keymaster

Show us the unidentified plant then.

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 19 2010, 08:41 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Show us the unidentified plant then. /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Healthy looking juvs there Stefan … all the best /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Stefan

QUOTE (Haji Badaruddin @ Dec 20 2010, 05:55 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Healthy looking juvs there Stefan … all the best /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Thanks Haji! I’ve been reading how you’ve been keeping and breeding them and I’ve not only found your information to be brilliant but also a big inspiration!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.