LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

(2010) New Betta species discovered!

Home Forums Ichthyology (2010) New Betta species discovered!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  macrostoma 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Stefan

April 9, 2010

The above Betta was identified as new species by a group of two crew member researchers from UK. Their new identity was confirmed by DNA test resulted last year.

In fact, this Betta is nothing new to us, it is found in the northern part of Pahang near the coast. Herman and I always ID them as Betta bellica juvenile until we realized it was actually a new species. There are no immediate confirmation whether the fish belongs to the biggest bubble nester group, but soon the answer will be revealed as I’m keeping some of them in my aquarium while the researchers processing the fish descriptions.

It was widely distributed in the peat swamp area with highly acidic water parameter, found together with the fish are Paros nagyi, Betta tussyae and etc…

More info and photo is on the way…

http://natureye.com/betta/new-betta-special-discovered.html

I would like raise a few questions that might be interesting to discuss here:

1. What do you think, a bubblenester or mouthbrooder group member? I don’t dare to say anything conclusive from a single photograph in this particular case.

2. DNA research:
    2a. Which species are used in the analysis and which outgroup was used?
    2b. How was the analysis formed?
    2c. What test did they use exactly? (distance method, parsimony, …)

3. DNA results are not neccesarily conclusive and may vary depending on a few things from point 2.

4. How are they different from other, closely related species morphologically and meristically?

Colin
    Participant

Now, I will stress that this is just a guess…. but the fish in the picture looks like it could be a mouthbrooder.

Just a hunch

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 11 2010, 10:37 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Now, I will stress that this is just a guess…. but the fish in the picture looks like it could be a mouthbrooder.

Just a hunch

Colin
    Participant

I have had 4 bellica and got them at about 3cm long and grew them to about 8 or 9 cm long and never seen a pattern like that, also the eye is too large. I have simorum now and they dont look like that, ever.

Stefan

Yeah my simorum never looked like that either.

Stefan

I’ve posted the same original message in another forum as well and there someone opted it to be an akarensis type. Any thoughts on that? Flank bar pattern and chin bar match.

Matt
    Keymaster

Looks like a mouthbrooder to me too. Does the locality match that of any described members of the B. akarensis group?

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 13 2010, 09:17 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looks like a mouthbrooder to me too. Does the locality match that of any described members of the B. akarensis group?

I don’t think there’s a member of the group reported from Malaysia yet.

Stefan

I wonder if anyone has new info regarding this new (yes, new) species?

Matt
    Keymaster

Did you ever find out who was working on it Stefan?

Stefan

Joshua recently confirmed online it’s a mouthbrooder – excellent!

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool!

Colin
    Participant

has that look about it doesnt it?

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Jul 13 2011, 08:36 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    has that look about it doesnt it?

‘…that look…’? The ‘mouthbrooder look’?

Colin
    Participant

yep

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.