LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

A couple of pics

Home Forums My Aquarium A couple of pics

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rüdiger 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi there,

I thought I’d share a some photos of some of my critters that didn’t turn out too bad despite the very basic camera. If they show in the intended order it is

pic 1 – 5 Badis badis parents and offspring,

pic 6 + 7 Dario dario about 10 minutes after I put them into the tank

pic 8 + 9 Corydoras agassizi at least that’s how they were sold

pic 10 – 13 Nannostomus marginatus

pic 14 Crossocheilus reticulatus

Regards

R.

014.jpg

001.JPG

002.jpg003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg

Edit: Naturally it didn’t go as planned. Now pic one is of course C. reticulatus.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Nice pics Rudiger , Love the Retic’s got a few of these very undemanding and pleasant natured fish !

Matt
    Keymaster

Very nice Rudi. :) Do you keep the Badis and Dario together?

Rüdiger
    Participant

Thanx Andy. Yeah, the C. reticulatus are really convincing fish. They are the only fish I ever bought initially as “working fish” to see what they can do about a bad spot of algae. Not only are they really good at that but you just have to love them. I had planned to always swap them for young ones once they reach a certain size (adult size way above what I usually keep) but they really have found a way into my heart. They are allowed to stay!!! 😀

Thanx Matt. Yes, I keep them together in my “Asian river”. The Badis don’t seem to even notice the Darios, but then again, they are very docile in general (mine at least). See next post for more pics from the tank. 😎

Regards

R.

Rüdiger
    Participant

All fish pictured above, except C. agassizi & N. marginatus of course, are inhabitants of my 160 cm desk tank, the “Asian river”. There are of course a few more, which I would like to introduce. The tank itself has changed quite a bit since first established but I don’t have recent pics yet due to a lack of time right now. Just imagine the second tank pic (just tank) with plenty more plants. T. albonubes and D. rerio had to be removed because they had grown up to be “food terrorists”. Even when feeding “targeted” with a pipette, they would bust in and literally burst before the others had anywhere close to enough food.

Species that have evaded decent photography so far are Danio margaritatus, Hara jerdoni, Akysis sp. and Erethistes pusillus.

Here goes:

A1.jpgA2.jpg0043.JPG001.jpg002-1.jpg003.jpg004.jpg0014.jpg0015.jpg0016.jpg0017.JPG0018.jpg0019.JPG0028.jpg0029.JPG0030.JPG0031.JPG0032-1.JPG

Rüdiger
    Participant

What the heck, here are the “best” photos I’ve got so far from the 4 remaining species. Hara jerdoni, Erethistes pusilla, Akysis sp. and Danio margaritatus. And don’t anybody say anything about the algae on the glass in the Akysis shot. I had only been back 15 min. from vacation! 😕 If anyone knows which Akysis species it is, please feel free to say so. Can’t be A. vespa since they are +45 mm SL already.

B1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Rudi how is the shape of the caudal-fin in your Akysis?

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Matt,
    I’m waiting to see that myself! As I said above, I can say a lot about the barbels though. 🙂 Those 2 minutes I got to see them after introducing them into the tank the caudal was kept tightly clamped. I am confident however that I’ll get in a decent shot sooner or later.
    Regards
    R.

Matt
    Keymaster

Fair enough. :) Love the stream tank by the way – how do you prevent algal growth with it being in the window?

Rüdiger
    Participant

A very good question indeed Matt. Let’s say it was a bit of a journey. Let me start with saying that I always wanted algae in there even though most would have me declared insane for that. I just installed some “I look like sand blasted glass” self-adhesive film on the back pane as you can see in pic 1. But I got a lot more than I bargained for as is evident in pic 2 & 3. Even mechanically removing algae twice a week didn’t make any inroads into algal growth. Then I fabricated an external background from just a piece of 3 mm MDF, a length or two of 10 mm square timber and a bit of self-adhesive “mirror film”. (pic 4) Add a strip of LEDs as a sunrise – sunset kinda light (pic 5) and bob’s your uncle. The actual algae control after this modification is brilliantly done by my two C. reticulatus. Now I have exactly the amount of algae to make it look natural.

Regards

R.

IMG_01.jpgIMG_02.jpgIMG_03.jpgIMG_04.jpgIMG_05.jpg

Rüdiger
    Participant

@matt said:

Hi Rudi how is the shape of the caudal-fin in your Akysis?

Just got a brief look at the fully extended caudal of one of the guys (certainly no chnace of a shot). It is fairly triangular to delta shaped with maybe the top ever so slightly more extended than the bottom. It lacks the distinct marking (band like) of most Akysis spp. that I’ve seen so far. It (the caudal) is fairly similar to A. maculipinnis pictured in the profile here. But there’s the thing with the size of the fish. As I mentioned it is a good 45 mm SL and that’s a bit large for A. maculipinnis?
    Regards
    R.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm, I think His Darkness may be better placed to answer this.:?

Rüdiger
    Participant

Maybe this helps to ID the bugger?

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHTmTHwrN1s?feature=player_detailpage%5D

Regards 

R.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Unfortunately I have to do it this way.

Link to video.

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm, A. maculipinnis? Hopefully The.Dark.One or Stuporman will see this…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.