LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

A few new fish!

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes A few new fish!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Kajsa12
    Participant

Ah Hemimyzon. Yes, I can see the difference now.

For Dawkinsia singhala, see my avatar (breeding color) or this page for their normal outfit.

http://novataxa.blogspot.nl/2013/05/synopsis-of-south-asian-puntius.html

torso
    Participant

Lucky you, Jim. Round here seems nobody want’s to import the Hemimyzon. should do it myself.

Cheers Charles

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks for that Henri. The fish in your avatar looks like my d. rohani. In googling I found little about d. singhala. They all look very similar.
    Charles, for once. :) It’s usually you folks in Europe getting the odd fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice Hemimyzon Jim, how are they settling in?

Henri, so your fish aren’t D. filamentosa? What do you think about the first fish here?

Plaamoo
    Participant

I was wondering the same about the dawkinsia Matt. Hemmimyzon are fine so far but the tank they’re in was previously occupied by some d. rohani that appear to have carried in a nasty outbreak of something, at least similar to ich. Doesn’t respond to any of the usual drugs that I use. High dose of salt seems to have it under control for now. They’re beautiful fish! I hope I can keep them for a while.

Kajsa12
    Participant

Henri, so your fish aren’t D. filamentosa? What do you think about the first fish here?

Hi Matt,

The fish in your picture looks like D. filamentosa to me (distinct marks on caudal lobes; my fish don’t have them).

Back in 2012 I was convinced my fish were D. singhala after looking at the maxillary barbels and counting scales on body on the lateral line. (The shop I bought them in 2009 confirmed twice they came from Sri Lanka.)
    I counted 20, 20 and 21 on my 3 males.
    After that(January 2012) I sent a PM on IAH to Marc with a detailed picture of the male with 21 scales on the body.
    He confirmed it should be D. singhala.

NB.
    According to Pethiyagoda & Kottelat, 2005:

D. singhala – scales on lateral line 20-21
    D. filamentosa- scales on lateral line 18-20

Ps.

See also this thread:
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/freshwater-and-brackish-water-fishes/puntius-filamentosus-group/

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Henri.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.