LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

A new species of Ituglanis from the Rio Xingu basin, Brazil, and the evolution of pelvic fin loss in trichomycterid catfishes (Teleostei: Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae)

Home Forums Ichthyology A new species of Ituglanis from the Rio Xingu basin, Brazil, and the evolution of pelvic fin loss in trichomycterid catfishes (Teleostei: Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Zootaxa 3790(3). Would love a copy if anyone gets it.

Abstract

A new species of the trichomycterid catfish genus Ituglanis is described from the Rio Curu√°, Rio Xingu basin, Rio Amazonas
    drainage, Brazil. Ituglanis apteryx, new species, is promptly distinguished from congeners, except some specimens
    of I. parahybae (Eigenmann), by the absence of pelvic fins, girdle, and muscles. The new species differs from I. parahybae
    in the pattern of the cephalic laterosensory system; the absence of a posterior cranial fontanel; the presence of an epural;
    and the number of branchiostegal rays, ribs, and vertebrae. Ituglanis apteryx is one among the several trichomycterids
    lacking pelvic fins. Analysis reveals that pelvic fin loss independently evolved several times during the trichomycterid
    radiation.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.