LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

A Question For You

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes A Question For You

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kit117033 8 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Kit117033
    Participant

Just a quick question for you all about stocking levels.

I have a Fluval 125ltr tank. It contains a medium piece of bog wood, and is medium planted.

The livestock is as follows:-

4 x Upside down Catfish
    3 x Siamese Algae Eaters (incorrectly sold to me as Flying Fox)
    5 x Dwarf Chain Loach
    6 x Threadfin Rainbow Fish (all male)
    9 x Amano Shrimp
    5 x Cherry Shrimp
    3 x Bee Shrimp
    2 x Green Shrimp
    2 x unidentified Shrimp (one Brown & one Clear)

Is this enough / too many / not enough?
    I would like to add another 6 x Threadfin Rainbow Fish (all male) if the stocking levels are not too high.

Please could someone advise me on this matter.

Many Thanks

Kit x

Malti
    Participant

hi Kit,

if you have good filtration, should not be a problem – what filter do you use?

and what I’m worried about is the SAE when they grow up keep an eye on them as they might become abit aggressive esp during feeding time.

Kit117033
    Participant

Hi Malti

QUOTE (Malti @ May 9 2010, 10:13 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    if you have good filtration, should not be a problem – what filter do you use?

The filter Im using is the fluval U3 which came with the tank. I will be including a UV filter as well but it’s currently in use in my quarantine tank!

QUOTE (Malti @ May 9 2010, 10:13 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    and what I’m worried about is the SAE when they grow up keep an eye on them as they might become abit aggressive esp during feeding time.

If the SAE become too boisterous I will have to move them to a different tank as this one is very peaceful (except for the Amano’s when I put an algae wafer in!)

I originally purchased the SAE as “Flying Fox” from my LFS who said they are perfect for getting rid of hair algae! I then researched them on this site, only to find that they were SAE not Flying Fox – Hmmmm Typical! You would think they would know the difference!

Still they are quite fun to watch! They line up at the front of the tank every morning waiting for me to squash the snails for them!!! They are not showing any aggression yet but I will keep an eye on them.

Kit x

Matt
    Keymaster

Do you know exactly which species the cats are?

Kit117033
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ May 9 2010, 06:56 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Do you know exactly which species the cats are?

Hi Matt

The cats are Synodontis nigriventris so they should stay small in comparison to some catfish.

Kit x

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Kit117033 @ May 9 2010, 07:20 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Malti

The filter Im using is the fluval U3 which came with the tank. I will be including a UV filter as well but it’s currently in use in my quarantine tank!

If the SAE become too boisterous I will have to move them to a different tank as this one is very peaceful (except for the Amano’s when I put an algae wafer in!)

I originally purchased the SAE as “Flying Fox” from my LFS who said they are perfect for getting rid of hair algae! I then researched them on this site, only to find that they were SAE not Flying Fox – Hmmmm Typical! You would think they would know the difference!

Still they are quite fun to watch! They line up at the front of the tank every morning waiting for me to squash the snails for them!!! They are not showing any aggression yet but I will keep an eye on them.

Kit x

mmm when u say fluval U£ what liter output/hr does it have? 

and yes SAE are sold like flying foxes and vice versa. got 2 FF recently, real ones, labelled as SAE’s in the shop.  

Kit117033
    Participant

Hi Malti

QUOTE (Malti @ May 9 2010, 07:34 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    mmm when u say fluval U£ what liter output/hr does it have? 

Hmm it doesn’t say in the instructions. So I just looked online and it said 155g/h (I presume they are US gallons as it was a US site!) My tank has exactly 95litres of water in as I counted them when I filled it up (with all plants/bogwood/ornaments in situ). Is this filter strong enough?

QUOTE (Malti @ May 9 2010, 07:34 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    and yes SAE are sold like flying foxes and vice versa. got 2 FF recently, real ones, labelled as SAE’s in the shop.  

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Kit117033 @ May 9 2010, 09:03 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Malti

Hmm it doesn’t say in the instructions. So I just looked online and it said 155g/h (I presume they are US gallons as it was a US site!) My tank has exactly 95litres of water in as I counted them when I filled it up (with all plants/bogwood/ornaments in situ). Is this filter strong enough?

How can they get it so wrong? I have learned, by researching the knowledge base on this site, that Flying Fox have coloured fins and SAE have clear fins! How difficult can it be LOL Perhaps they should refer to this site in future LOL

Kit x

rule of thumb is the least 3 x the volume – you got more than enough 

and re the FF – they were cheaper as SAE so I didn’t speak up 

Kit117033
    Participant

Hi Malti

QUOTE (Malti @ May 9 2010, 08:13 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    rule of thumb is the least 3 x the volume – you got more than enough 

Thats good to know!

QUOTE (Malti @ May 9 2010, 08:13 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    and re the FF – they were cheaper as SAE so I didn’t speak up  /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.