LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Acanthocobitis spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Acanthocobitis spp.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Has anyone here kept A. botia? We had them in at the shop on a few occasions and they never seemed particularly aggressive to me but I see conflicting info about their behaviour online. Also, other than a larger adult size, how do you tell it apart from A. urophthalmus?

retro_gk
    Participant

They’re not very aggressive. About 6 adult specimens will happily coexist in a 20 long. Their habitat is mostly open sand and leaf litter. One disadvantage is they don’t do too well when housed with similarly sized Schistura in small tanks. They invariably get beaten up.

As to differentiating from urophthalmus, just look at the shipping manifest

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Rahul.

Matt
    Keymaster

Profile added. Could do with some more images but ho hum.

retro_gk
    Participant

The species we get around here is A. sinuata (see pic, ignore genus). A. moreh in most of the literature. The latter species is from around Pune.

A. botia is restricted to the ganges basin, afaik.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

Wow that’s a handsome fish!^^^ Love the bronze coloring! Nice pic!!

Matt
    Keymaster

It is a pretty wee thing. Are those two not officially in Acanthocobitis then?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Stunning fish Rahul

retro_gk
    Participant

Yeah, they’ve very pretty. But complete wimps. Even the smallest schistura will knock them around.

Not very wee, Matt, the fish in the pic is about 2″. Biggest I’ve seen was a shade over 3″. Some of the publications list A. moreh as valid, with A. sinuata as a junior synonym. Most list both as a synonym of A. botia. The fish from South India is a distinct species, at least.

Long story short:

Fish from Ganges/Brahmaputra drainage = A. botia. Everyone agrees on this.

Fish from Krishna drainage/central India = A. moreh. Some agree, some do not. I have not seen specimens, so am on the fence.

Fish from Southern India = Obviously distinct from A. botia. Most Indian authors consider it to be the same as A. moreh. Day considered it to be a distinct species, which he named Noemacheilus sinuatus (all 3 were in Noemacheilus at that point). Until I see a specimen of A. moreh from the correct geographic region, I’m going to agree with Day, and consider the south Indian fish a distinct species.

I really should rename the pic to Acanthocobitis, but I is lazy.

Matt
    Keymaster

Now I am sated – the reason I initially asked is that it seemed weird that A. botia and A. urophthalmus are so widely separated geographically with no species inbetween. Thanks a lot Rahul. Yes you should organise the legend on the pic then allow us to use it in a profile… /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

This is what I have for urophthalmus – what do you guys think?

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

No takers on the fish above?

Here we have A. pavonacea – The Dark One wrote an interesting paper regarding its taxonomical position a couple of years ago. I have that and have added some information into the notes but does anyone know what kind of habitat it prefers? It was featured in ‘Inland fishes of India and adjacent countries’ by Talwar and Jhingran so maybe there’s some info in there?

Attached files

The.Dark.One

Hi Matt and retro.

In 2008 I did an article covering Acanthocobitis for BSSW Report in Germany, discussing the alleged synonyms of A. botia, inc. mooreh and sinuata. Rahul kindly provided the image of sinuata. Do you want me to email you the English text Matt?

The full printed reference is:

Grant, S., 2008.
    Schmerlen der Gattung Acanthocobitis Peters, 1861.
    BSSW-Report 20 (3), 49-52.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes please.

Matt
    Keymaster

Here’s a pic of purported A. moreh by Madhu. I noticed over at IAH that this species is considered valid there so just wondered if anyone has an opinion as to whether we should give it a profile or not. Same goes for A. sinuata as posted by Rahul earlier in th¡s thread…

Attached files

random2
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ May 24 2011, 08:00 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Here’s a pic of purported A. moreh by Madhu. I noticed over at IAH that this species is considered valid there so just wondered if anyone has an opinion as to whether we should give it a profile or not. Same goes for A. sinuata as posted by Rahul earlier in th¡s thread…

Well, then all southern caught (i.e south of Krishna) ones would be A sinuata?

Few things which we have noticed (nothing new )-
    The largest one caught was 5″+ (caught by Madhu)
    They were mainly found in cool streams where we also found one or more species of Schistura sp
    Only difference – Schisturas prefer rocky/pebbly places and these prefer sandy bottoms. Could clearly see this difference.
    At least at one place, they were seen in a group.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.