LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Acanthocobitis spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Acanthocobitis spp.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author

The.Dark.One

QUOTE (Matt @ May 24 2011, 02:30 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Here’s a pic of purported A. moreh by Madhu. I noticed over at IAH that this species is considered valid there so just wondered if anyone has an opinion as to whether we should give it a profile or not. Same goes for A. sinuata as posted by Rahul earlier in th¡s thread…

In my 2008 article I have already said that mooreh (not moreh) should be valid IMO, and it is possible that sinuata (not sinuatus if valid in Acanthocobitis) is too (it certainly wont be a synonym of botia IMO, IF it is a synonym of anything then it would be a synonym of mooreh). Whether this pic is mooreh is difficult to say bearing in mind how poorly studied they are. The question to ask is which river/system was the fish caught in?

If from the Krishna system then probably mooreh, if from the Cauvery then probably sinuata (if indeed that is distinct from mooreh) – my 2008 article discusses all these issues, including Nemacheilus aureus Day, 1872.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah was re-reading it earlier which was what inspired me to post.

random2
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ May 25 2011, 03:21 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yeah was re-reading it earlier which was what inspired me to post.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Deepak.

The.Dark.One

If from the Krishna then I would say yes, mooreh. I personally think it warrants a profile, not the least because mooreh is deemed valid by Indian authors, just that it is placed in Nemacheilus by them, but is certainly an Acanthocobitis (subgenus Paracanthocobitis) and valid IMO. Kottelat questionally synonymised it with A. botia but he had no specimens to hand.

random2 – I only have a pdf of the German language article but I do have the text in English in a Word document (but none of the accompanying pictures). If you want that, please give me your email address.

random2
    Participant

QUOTE (The.Dark.One @ May 25 2011, 10:29 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    random2 – I only have a pdf of the German language article but I do have the text in English in a Word document (but none of the accompanying pictures). If you want that, please give me your email address.

T.D.O, thanks for the offer. Matt sent me the English version.

Thanks Matt.

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (The.Dark.One @ May 25 2011, 04:59 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If from the Krishna then I would say yes, mooreh. I personally think it warrants a profile, not the least because mooreh is deemed valid by Indian authors, just that it is placed in Nemacheilus by them, but is certainly an Acanthocobitis (subgenus Paracanthocobitis) and valid IMO. Kottelat questionally synonymised it with A. botia but he had no specimens to hand.

Ok I’ll go ahead and add one then. Thanks.

retro_gk
    Participant

QUOTE (random2 @ May 24 2011, 10:09 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well, then all southern caught (i.e south of Krishna) ones would be A sinuata?

Not so, IMO.

Few things which we have noticed (nothing new )-
    The largest one caught was 5″+ (caught by Madhu)

We’re measuring fish here, not reproductive apparatus. < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

The fish pictured was collected from the Mutha River so it’s Krishna drainage alright.

Krishna drainage, yes. Mutha river, no.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers for the corrections Rahul – the Mutha info was attached to the photo on the IAH forum though. Any idea why it was posted with incorrect locality details?

retro_gk
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 2 2011, 12:35 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cheers for the corrections Rahul – the Mutha info was attached to the photo on the IAH forum though. Any idea why it was posted with incorrect locality details?

Probably a bit of leaky memory

Matt
    Keymaster

Marvellous.

rasikanayak
    Participant

Here are a couple of Acanthocobitis spp. that I have.

The first one is from the Tunga River basin.

The second one was given to me by Madhu. It was from the same trip by Rahul and Madhu. Krishna River drainage.

Sorry for the bad quality image. The glass of this tank does need cleaning.

Regards,
    Nayak.

Matt
    Keymaster

Great pics.

rasikanayak
    Participant

Matt,

Both are the same size around 2.5 inches.

Regards,
    Nayak.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok thanks.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.