LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Acanthocobitis spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Acanthocobitis spp.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

All we have is these photos. :-/ Was wondering if they could be A. rubidipinnis?

The.Dark.One

Your guess is as good as mine. The pictilis paper has really muddles things up I think.

Matt
    Keymaster

Best added as a ‘sp.’ for now then?

The.Dark.One

Are you not able to use the purported differences in the pictilis paper to differentiate?

Matt
    Keymaster

The colour pattern doesn’t match that described for A. rubidipinnis in the paper; there should be 11-12 vertically-elongate blackish blotches on the lateral line plus there don’t seem to be enough branched dorsal-fin rays. 😕

If the red is nuptial colouration this would also appear to rule out A. botia given the apparent small size of these fish?

The.Dark.One

Matt, I’ve had another look at the discussion on rubidipinnis in the pictilis description and having looked again at Kottelat 1990 and Rendahl 1948, these are not rubidipinnis IMO.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok brilliant, cheers. Wonder what they are then – they look most like juvenile A. botia but red pigmentation in loaches usually signifies sexual behaviour right?

The.Dark.One

I was considering mandalayensis but probably botia.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok, I’ll add them to the A. botia profile with a cf. for the time being.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.