LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Acanthopsoides and balitorid spp.?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Acanthopsoides and balitorid spp.?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Unbelievably picked these up today – by far the most interesting fishes I’ve seen in a shop since moving here and two species to boot! Think the first is an Acanthopsoides and the second some Protomyzon or Erromyzon sp.? Photos in the bag so pretty horrible but you can see how thin the balitorid is.

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Whoa, some nice lookers there Matt !

Plaamoo
    Participant

Very cool Matt! About time you joined in the fun!! Hope you can some food in the balitorid.

Kajsa12
    Participant

Nice. http://www.aquariophil.org/html/malaysia_2009_02.html

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Apr 15 2011, 10:35 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Very cool Matt! About time you joined in the fun!! Hope you can some food in the balitorid.

Thanks Jim – almost 3 years in shared accommodation wasn’t really beneficial in terms of setting up tanks but now we have our own place I’m planning on installing a few.

Thomas
    Participant

Or Erromyzon sinensis?

Matt
    Keymaster

Don’t think it’s E. sinensis but it might be Erromyzon? Of the pics I have this is the one it resembles most, though I’m not suggesting it is as haven’t seen any red markings as yet.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

Any tips on feeding the balitorid? The tank is only a few weeks old so not much available in the way of aufwuchs. I’ve already put a few rocks outside to grow algae on but the fish needs to eat immediately.

I like shaving frozen bloodworms with a sharp knife/razorblade to make tiny pieces. Almost all fish seem to like bloodworms! This sometimes gets gastromyzons feeding.

torso
    Participant

it’s e. sinensis, Matt. juvenile specimen have not the “complete” bandings, adults do – like this one. and the typical spot in the tail fin base is visible. do you need some pics?
    the pic above shows p. tungpeiensis

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool, Charles. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

QUOTE (torso @ Apr 16 2011, 05:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    do you need some pics?

Yes please!

Bully
    Participant

Matt, do you have access to Tetra’s TetraNatura range there? It’s a gel food that’s nutrient rich and you can spread it over stones, useful for situations like yours

torso
    Participant

I just went through my library and would send you some pics today
    to clarify: your specimen (your pics above) is p. tungpeiensis. the pic by Zou Hang shows a protomyzon sp (spotted head, different fin pattern etc)
    I hope it’s clear now

Matt
    Keymaster

Charles, now I get you…my fish is Pseudogastromyzon tungpeiensis, and following Zhou’s photos it looks basically the same. Nice!

Gareth I haven’t seen those foods here but will go shopping tomorrow and see what I can find.

Attached files

torso
    Participant
    Matt wrote on Apr 17 2011, 10:52 AM:
    Charles, now I get you…my fish is Pseudogastromyzon tungpeiensis, and following Zhou’s photos it looks exactly the same. Nice!

that’s it, Matt. I hope Z.Hang agrees /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />
    sent you the pictures
    cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

Got the mails Charles, thank you!

Here are some slightly better pics.

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.