LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Acanthopsoides Molobrion

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Acanthopsoides Molobrion

This topic contains 26 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Mick this is one species that you keep/have kept judging by your pics. It looks fascinating and reminds me a bit of Somileptes gongota which I´ve been after for ages!

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

it is a female for sure but i think it was the way i took the pic that makes it look green, iv’e tried to get the same sort of effect on all the ones i have but i’m doing something wrong.
    most of the day they will stay buried but i should imagine if given a tank with say kuhli’s in they would stay above substrate more, but as mine are with some boisterous loaches they only come out at feed time and stay hanging about for quite awhile after.
    Max size iv’e got is 2+ inch SL but i think thats about their limit.
    have tried to get them spawning but nothing so far, but i’ll keep trying with them.

mick

Reva
    Participant

Is this fish at all related to Acantopsis choirorhynchus? If so, the males are greenish silver and the females more pink. Mine spent a lot of their time with just the faces above the gravel, but if you feed bloodworms or better yet live tubifex, they would launch up and cruise around for a long time. They just startle easily.
    sorry for butting into your thread…

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE(Reva @ Jun 26 2008, 06:47 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    sorry for butting into your thread…

Don´t be silly Reva!!!

mickthefish
    Participant

yup thats what iv’e read as the common name Matt, Rva these little fish when the bury themselves all you can see is their eyes above the sand, it’s a shame as they are a pretty fish.
    mine to prefer live tubifex rather than bloodworm.

mick

mickthefish
    Participant

this is what i normally see of the fish.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

So cool.

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE(mickthefish @ Jun 26 2008, 09:48 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    this is what i normally see of the fish.

/laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

That’s an amazing fish, Mick. Where did you pick them up?

mickthefish
    Participant

there lies the problem dunc, iv’e never seen a shipment of them they always come in as contaminants, but if your lucky you can find 2 or 3 of them in a tank.
    i have 5 so far but still look in the shops tanks just in case, as to shops i think it was 3 different shops and they’re never with a similar species but my bet would go with any lepidocephichthys sp.

mick

dunc
    Keymaster

Ahh. That’s a shame like

mickthefish
    Participant

yup i got 3 at once there, 1 in a shop in rochdale and another in a shop not that far from me.
    but well wotrth looking out for.

mick
    ps, me and my mate are always looking for the contaminants where-ever we go some of them are real rarities hardly ever seen.

dunc
    Keymaster

I’ll keep my eye out for you mate

mickthefish
    Participant

trust the exporters to make me look a fool.
    Matt, steve spencer has had a shipment of them or one of the sp, i got 4 last night at the fish club and they are tiny.
    Steve said he’s got a tank full of them, so iv’e ordered another 10 of them.
    i’m not sure but i think they are a different sp to the molobrion as they have a nasal stripe which mine don’t have.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Jammy get! /cool.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”B)” border=”0″ alt=”cool.gif” /> How tiny’s tiny?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.