LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Adding Gypsum Rock To The Water

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Adding Gypsum Rock To The Water

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

mzapater
    Participant

Hi there to you all.

I have been keeping Cualac tessellatus (F: Cyprinodontidae) from Mexico for a few years. It seems that nobody is able to maintain this species other than the people from the Vienna Zoo.

What they told us (and it worked!) is to add a piece of gypsum rock to the tank (rather plastic tub).

I know that gypsum is CaSO4, so that´s the only thing that will get dissolved in water (apart from impurities that the rock may contain).

The thing is that after adding this piece of rock most of the eggs turned up viable at least and the fry are growing pretty well. Got a nice batch of juveniles that we hope to share (starting with Matt).

What may be the effect of the sulphates in water? Do you know of any other species with such requirements?

Thanks in advance,

Manuel…

Mark Duffill
    Participant

If I am right CaSO4 is Calcium sulphate?

If that is the case wouldnt that send the pH and Hardness through the roof?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yup Mark. I would guess that the egg production is inhibited without the presence of Calcium Sulphate Manuel? Where is the species from? Cuatro Cienegas?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

What were you pH and Hardness readings Manuel ?

Matt
    Keymaster

Questions, questions. /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Eyrie
    Participant

[Layman’s question]
    I’d presume being a CA species that attempts have been made in the past to breed them in harder water (the data in the paper not withstanding), so could the sulphate be the missing ingredient for viable eggs?
    [/layman]

mzapater
    Participant

Thanks for the quick replies.

The thing is that I don´t know (yet) the original characteristics of Vienna water, but ours are pH around 7,8 – 8,0, GH around 15.

So adding gypsum (calcium sulphate) shouldn´t affect that much pH, so the sulfates must be the key to the viability of eggs and also the wellbeing of fish.

I am always puzzled by such strange waters with low pH and high content of different salts, usually sulfates are there (such as the turkish lakes where Aphanius danfordii occurs).

Anyway, just another topic for research in aquariums

Matt
    Keymaster

Manuel if I remember right from university the tap water in Vienna is natural ground water fed by a spring. It’s famous as being some of the best in Europe. Let me see if I can get values for you hang on a sec.

Matt
    Keymaster

pH = 7.6
    KH = 5
    GH = 10

Obviously these may vary a bit depending on where in the city you are. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Attached files

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.