LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

African Sicydium

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes African Sicydium

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  REC 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Stan

Hello,

I found that thread, looking for the information about Parasicydium bandama by google http://das-grundelforum.de/arten_artbestim…dama_494.0.html . Totally fascinated by this species!

Best Regards from Germany!

Plaamoo
    Participant

Hi Stan,
    I still have the two, I think females. I think the larger one(didn’t make it) was a male of the same sp. It appears that you have both sexes in your group? I’d like to find more. Really nice fish!

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Stan and welcome to the forum.

Plaamoo
    Participant

As luck would have it, I found a tank full of these in Seattle today. Picked out 2 males, I think. I’m out of room or would have got a bunch.

Stan

Hi,

sorry for the late answer!!!

@plaamoo: I have 3 males and 2 females. 2 of 3 males occupied small territories and are pretty aggressive toward other members of their own species. The males are more colorful and smaller then the females. Most of the time they are sitting on their stones in the middle of the territory, watching for the rivals to chase them away. The females try to dig in, if the feel offended. They are also the ones who dig out the holes under the stones.

Male:

@matt:

thx! As I’m not really an expert in the “goby affairs”, I have to rely to the identification skills of the seller /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” /> .
    Almost the same problem with Chiloglanis cf. disneyi, I can not find Moussaka River at all.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’ve finally just moved the two new ones from the QT to the main tank with the others. I tried to pick out 2 males from a swarming tank full, assuming that I had two females already. They’re still spooky but I’ve managed a few shots to compare them. I’m assuming that they’re the same sp.

Original 2. Note the difference in dorsal fins.

What I think is an obvious male. Note the xlarge upper lip and orange band in caudal fin.

The other new one I’m thinking is a younger male? He’s been elusive.

The 2 new fish together.

Kajsa12
    Participant

Nice Sicydiines, Jim.

Still no signs of any territorial behaviour?

Plaamoo
    Participant

No Henri they seem to be very social. They’ve only been together for a few days. I’m watching for better color from the male(s) when they settle in. I really like them!

Matt
    Keymaster

Really like them too Jim – time for a profile attempt soon?

REC
    Participant

Hello, I’m new to the forum but I am very interested in Sicydium. In the original post, the first pictures look like S. crenilabrum but could be P. bandama. The best way to distinguish these two is that S. crenilabrum has a “crenate” upper lip. The ‘Big’ one in the last two pictures is definitely S. brevifile. I had the same experience I bought 7 from a pet shop in Austin 5 were S. crenilabrum, 1 was P. bandama, and 1 was S. brevifile. Hope this helps!

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks for the input REC. So they are definitely 2 different sp.? Do you have any papers on these??

REC
    Participant

Yes, I do have papers on these. I have the original description of Parasicydium on PDF, Pezold/Iwamoto (discusses S. brevifile and S. bustamantei) is available online. I also have Harrison’s work on S. crenilabrum as a hard copy and unfortunately its a poor copy that won’t scan well.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.