LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Akysis spp.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  The.Dark.One 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Anyone with experiences to share? I’d particularly like to know if these come out of hiding at feeding times once settled in.

FKS
    Participant

Matt,
    indeed. While both A. prashadi and longifilis are more or less “invisible” in my tanks, you’ll get a whirlpool when feeding! Looks like they are waiting to spend all their energy for finding food.

cheers

andy rushworth
    Participant

Fantastic little set up !

Matt
    Keymaster

…and very well-fed little fish! Do you keep these with anything else or alone?

Colin
    Participant

…also, what is the live food?

FKS
    Participant

Gents,

Do you keep these with anything else or alone?

alone if possible. I think it is possible to add e.g. some Rasbora (if these are fine with chilled, streaming water), but then you might lose your chance to get some eggs from the Akysis… and breeding Akysis is possible (especially A. vespa). Anyway, my longifilis were accompanied by some Aspidoras a few weeks. Also not a problem. Akysis know how to get their bit of food!

what is the live food?

you mean what is actually shown in the picture? It’s Tubifex (Tubifex tubifex). They really get crazy with that stuff. But they also like all kinds of worms (especially bloodworms), Daphnia, mosquito larvae, Artemia, and so on. Doesn’t matter if alive or frozen, but should be tons of it!

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve been reading a bit today and gather that some species (A. alfredi, A. fuscus, A. microps) are sexable by the shape of the genital papillae. Is this also true for the species in the trade? Can body shape also be used?

FKS
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 20 2011, 05:09 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Can body shape also be used?

yes, but only for adult fish (females are larger and bulky).

Matt
    Keymaster

No clues on the genital papillae thing Frank?

FKS
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 21 2011, 12:38 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    No clues on the genital papillae thing Frank?

no, sorry. But I could try to have a look sometime…

Matt
    Keymaster

No worries, just thought to ask. this. Has anyone seen this red form of A. vespa alive or know anything about it?

FKS
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 21 2011, 03:50 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Has anyone seen this red form of A. vespa alive or know anything about it?

yes. Saw them once in one of Michael Schl├╝ter’s tanks (weichwasserfische.de). So, this is not Photoshop. They are really that red.

BTW: Kurt Mack about breeding Akysis vespa (I think his vespa were also the red ones).http://www.zierfischzucht-mack.de/index.php?id=139.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot Frank – any idea if the red ones produce red young?

FKS
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 22 2011, 09:29 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks a lot Frank – any idea if the red ones produce red young?

Matt,
    so, I asked Kurt Mack about this. He mentioned that the red color is obviously controlled by the diet. During winter his vespa lost more or less their color from feeding mostly mosquito larvae and similar stuff. In spring, feeding Daphnia and Artemia, the color came back…

The.Dark.One

Roy has kept vespa, vespertinus, prashadi, maculipinnis, portellus, longifilis. They all tend to hide and like to bury in the sand but as soon as live food goes in they go crazy. They dont tend to touch dried foods. His eat frozen bloodworm and chopped earthworms. From our observations the females are proportionately wider and deeper in the body.

Roy has had eggs from prashadi but no young.

The red vespa are just vespa affected by food, as Frank has indicated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.