LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Algae Disposal Team

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Algae Disposal Team

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Richy 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Right /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Basically I’m after one or two, or a group of smaller fishes for my conservatory tank to help clear the algae where possible. They would need to be able to thrive at around 30 degrees celsius and co-exist with a bunch of fairly rowdy Geophagus.

Any suggestions ladies and gents?

Malti
    Participant

i was gonna suggest apple snails (I know its not fish but i like them)…but max temp is 28 for them, algae eaters like Gyrinocheilus aymonieri live in 25.5 – 28 degrees so its another no no.

then tthere are the plecos – Queen Arabesque pleco and common. although i think the perfect temperature would be some 83 fahrenheit, which would be like 29…dunno what else

sorry can’t really be off help…at least i still can think straight after a night of jack /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Eyrie
    Participant

Usual suggestion would be otocinclus, but they’re probably a bit small to go with the Geophagus and prefer cooler water.

Is 30C too warm for an Ancistrus?

keith565
    Participant

i’m fairly sure there are a few of the ancistrus and other L numbers that wold be ok at that temp.

ndc
    Participant

MY LDA31 ARE FINE IN MY TANK – THATS ABOUT 29-30 C , A LOT OF THE PLECS WILL BE OK AND WHEN IT GETS COOLER IN THE WINTER YOU CAN GIVE THEM A COOLER PERIOD

Matt
    Keymaster

This’d be easier to answer if we knew what kind of algae you’re getting matey.

dunc
    Keymaster

It’s like light browny green algae on the front of the glass, mostly.

ulster exile

Does it look like the pictures of Green Dust Algae or the Brown Diatom algae shown on this site?

dunc
    Keymaster

Like the latter

Richy
    Participant

alot of alge eating catfish should be ok in those temps (in theory) aslong as they’re acclimatised slowly.
    How big is your tank though? You don’t want something which will grow too big unless you can upgrade or have the will to send to a more appropriate home.
    As you know many different catfish have different requirements, wood, meat, algae etc. Rusty plecs are superb , don’t quote me but maybe about 6″ish?

Richy
    Participant

the site reccomends Oto’s so as I said above, if acclimatised slowly they should withstand the temp change.
    Movement from shop to house then to a warmer tank may shock the fish if done too quick.
    Good ID site

ulster exile

That should go away on it’s own eventually. Believe it or not, one thing I found great for it were ramshorn snails – the larger variety, not the ickle ones. ONly problem is that once you have them, you’ve got to get rid of them! Nerite snails were great too, but like the oto’s not comfortable (afaik) at the higher temps.

If it was on the glass only, I’d probably try and stick with mechanical removers (ie elbow grease /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

I’d go with UE’s suggestion too mate unless you’ve seen some species that you really want to keep. Diatoms don’t usually affect mature set-ups. Oh, and I think those rusty plecs are mainly wood eaters so definitely don’t get them.

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ May 26 2008, 11:57 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Oh, and I think those rusty plecs are mainly wood eaters so definitely don’t get them.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes we’re thinking of the same fish Richy. I’m sure it will eat algae and stuff but xylophages (wood-eaters) tend to make an awful mess pooing out wood chips in my experience which is why I was saying don’t get them. Sorry I should have written more clearly.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.