LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Alternative To Substrat Pro?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Alternative To Substrat Pro?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hokum 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hokum
    Participant

What do people use in their external filters? I have just picked up a 2213 classic, I’ve got some Mech for it but looking for a cheaper alternative to Substrat for the biological portion.

Bully
    Participant

I know there are a few alternatives out there that claim similar ability to Eheim, Sera Siporax for example. I’m not sure it’s really any cheaper though.

To answer your first question I use Substrat Pro in all my externals. I bought my last lot as part of a complete filter set, which included 3l of Substrat Pro, at a cheaper price than buying it separately. I was really lucky and got the kit for a little over £20, I think. Similar kits are £30 on eBay now, but that still represents good value for money….for Substrat Pro.

I just remembered another similar product by JBL, BioNitratEX. I don’t think it’s cheaper than any of the others though.

Bluedave
    Participant

Siporax here but as bully said, all much of a muchness

MatsP
    Participant

If you want some “home-made” ceramic biological media, then broken coarse ceramics will work. It’s not AS good, but crushed natural colour floor tiles may be a workable media – the little cracks and crevices in the ceramic media is what the bacteria lives on.

However, there is the problem of crushing the ceramic tiles and not making too much of a mess. You then need to rinse it, and make cure there aren’t too much in the way of sharp edges… It will be a lot of extra work for the saving of a few pounds. And of course, no one is going to GUARANTEE that any paricular tiles are suitable for this purpose…

Mats

Hokum
    Participant

QUOTE (MatsP @ Oct 24 2010, 10:48 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If you want some “home-made” ceramic biological media, then broken coarse ceramics will work. It’s not AS good, but crushed natural colour floor tiles may be a workable media – the little cracks and crevices in the ceramic media is what the bacteria lives on.

However, there is the problem of crushing the ceramic tiles and not making too much of a mess. You then need to rinse it, and make cure there aren’t too much in the way of sharp edges… It will be a lot of extra work for the saving of a few pounds. And of course, no one is going to GUARANTEE that any paricular tiles are suitable for this purpose…

Mats

I picked up some JBL MicroMec for £9 which are like little white snowballs, in fact they remind me of little bon-bons. About £8 Cheaper than Substrat pro.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.