LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Altolamprologus sp “Sumbu Shell”

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Altolamprologus sp “Sumbu Shell”

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

torso
    Participant

Hi all

Do you like the look of Altolamprologus calvus? I do, but I never realised a Tanganjika-tank since the 80es.

Some time ago I got a dozen of a similar species, not described and much smaller. They weren’t easy to handle: very shy and grown up and big enough to sex them, gone into the snail shells. Preference always Heliix pomatia. They are not diggers at all.

Dominant specimen can be agressive. A aerea of 50×40 cm for 6 specimen is sufficient but even females try to suppress inferior females. It seems, that pairs establish themselves by “consensus”.  In case of the dominant male shown here it didn’t work, the female is still hiding behind slate and longside-glas. In the compartement next to it (50×20 cm), it worked. After a long time waiting that anything happens, I could take pics of the first fry at a  length of 6-7 mm, yellowish – due to the flash prononounced – with a characteristic white band. Eggs are said to be bilious green.

All specimen prefer a place in the background, but the breeding female stays at the frontside, the longest possible distance to the male.

The dominant specimen, about 4 cm

CSC_5735.jpg

Watching, what is going on for hours. the eye just overlooking the brim of the shell

DSC_5807.jpg

Ready to disappear at the slightest threat

CSC_5796.jpg

The breeding pair. Male with nice lipstick-marking

DSC_5831.jpg

CSC_5838.jpg

Fry moving around, never hiding and even going up a slate for food

DSC_5863.jpg

DSC_5694.jpg

CSC_5620.jpg

CSC_5699.jpg

DSC_5818.jpg

DSC_5820.jpg

DSC_5815.jpg

CSC_5766.jpg

DSC_5771.jpg

Cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

Very cute. :) Do you think we should give ‘Sumbu shell’ its own profile Charles?

torso
    Participant

Not at the moment, Matt. I need some infos and hope to get them next week.

Generally they are declared as A. compressiceps “Sumbu shell”. There seems to be a coexistence with a larger species.

“My” species remains small, about 5 cm for males, 4 cm for females. As the larger is labeled with the same name I would wait for the moment. There are too many non described variations around. Even labelling them as A. compressiceps “Sumbu shell” is doubtful.

Mine are aquararium-bred. H. Büscher caught some this year and I’m shure, he knows more.

Cheers Charles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.