LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Am I Harbouring A Convict

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Am I Harbouring A Convict

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  retro_gk 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

I do not attend to callers after sunset, when the house has been completely shut up for the night. However the bell rang again and a young voice was calling from the gates “estoy Miguel. tengo pesca”

He had a cut down 2 liter cola bottle containing a large ferocious looking fish. So I gave him the equivalent of 75p and thanked him.

I put it into one of my holding tanks and appeared to be in good shape.

It is certainly a Cichlid but very unlike my Mayan Cichlids.

Could this be a convict?

Attached files

retro_gk
    Participant

Parachromis friedrichstahlii.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (retro_gk @ Sep 1 2009, 10:38 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Parachromis friedrichstahlii.

Parachromis friedrichsthalii
    That is the guy. Listed as a native in my Guatemala list. Dr Pez the Spanish site also mentions that it is found in Lake Peten.
    My guy is 3 and a half inches long and not recomended to go in with my other Lake fish.
    He needs a 55 gallon tank to himself or larger for a pair.
    I will now have to make another tank or return him to the Lake.
    Many thanks for such a fast ID.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Sep 2 2009, 01:36 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Parachromis friedrichsthalii
    That is the guy. Listed as a native in my Guatemala list. Dr Pez the Spanish site also mentions that it is found in Lake Peten.
    My guy is 3 and a half inches long and not recomended to go in with my other Lake fish.
    He needs a 55 gallon tank to himself or larger for a pair.
    I will now have to make another tank or return him to the Lake.
    Many thanks for such a fast ID.

My young assistant was adamant that our yellowjacket should not be returned to the Lake. We decided to put him in the Goldfish tank with some large Comets and see what happened.
    He has settled in nicely, taken possession of one of the caves and he is not bothered by his frilly girlfriends.
    I discovered that the boys caught him with their fishing line while about 20 yards off shore in their dugout canoe, with small garden worms as bait.
    Looking at his photo he has a face that only a mother could love but is now the pride of our collection.

Attached files

retro_gk
    Participant

They are wonderful fish that aren’t as well represented in the hobby. Makes a welcome change from the ubiquitous managuense.

I believe Lake Peten is the type locality for this species.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.