LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Amazon Biotopes

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Amazon Biotopes

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  clark136 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

clark136
    Participant

Hello all, just thought id say hello and what a great site! loads of great information!!

I keep tropical freshwater fish from the amazon blackwater regions, and i am a great lover of biotope tanks and im in the process of making one at home (i’ll post osme pics when its done). I keep mainly cardinal tetras -as i am trying to breed them – ahve had lots of successful spawnings but no fry yet

Eyrie
    Participant

I prefer biotopes, but will always have a few plants for aesthetic reasons even if this is incorrect.

dunc
    Keymaster

I much prefer true biotope settings.. I really struggle to find decent tree roots for my Amazon setups though /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

clark136
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Dec 2 2008, 09:10 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I much prefer true biotope settings.. I really struggle to find decent tree roots for my Amazon setups though /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

i agree – finding roots is a pain! mostly just seem to find lumps of wood that dont do much for the looks of the setup rather they just end up taking up space and looking un-natural. i think the wood reptile shops sell is ok though, not sure what its called but its basically thinish branches. anyone know if these are tank safe?

Eyrie
    Participant

I’d assume the thin branches that a reptile shop sells are the same wood that I’ve got from my LFS, so yes. Problem is that the pieces in my tank are at the back and planted with java fern, so getting a pic could be tricky.

clark136
    Participant

a pic would be great. im just about to set up my small 60litre as a blackwater biotope this coming week – i’ll get some photos asap.

Nev
    Participant

Hi All,
    I am planning to set up a biotope tank over the next couple of weeks once my current 3ft tank becomes empty and all the inhabitants have moved to a new 4ft tank. The biptope will contain just 1 type of fish and that is my favorite tetra, the Black Phantom. I plan to have about 25 in a setup with river sand and bogwood. I will be looking into getting some branches or twigs, I have been told that Beech wood is safe if stripped of bark and dried and that Beech leaves and Oak leaves are fine also. I have an external Aquis 550 which I will use and will put some peat into one of the trays. Since subdued lighting is recommended I am looking into using black light.
    My tanks are going to be changing a lot over the next couple of weeks but if anyone is interested here are some pics of them as is. http://www.catalystastrology.com/fishtank.html
    Great site really like the in depth knowledgebase of tetras.

clark136
    Participant

QUOTE (Nev @ Dec 5 2008, 12:43 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi All,
    I am planning to set up a biotope tank over the next couple of weeks once my current 3ft tank becomes empty and all the inhabitants have moved to a new 4ft tank. The biptope will contain just 1 type of fish and that is my favorite tetra, the Black Phantom. I plan to have about 25 in a setup with river sand and bogwood. I will be looking into getting some branches or twigs, I have been told that Beech wood is safe if stripped of bark and dried and that Beech leaves and Oak leaves are fine also. I have an external Aquis 550 which I will use and will put some peat into one of the trays. Since subdued lighting is recommended I am looking into using black light.
    My tanks are going to be changing a lot over the next couple of weeks but if anyone is interested here are some pics of them as is. http://www.catalystastrology.com/fishtank.html
    Great site really like the in depth knowledgebase of tetras.

oak leaves do look great – i had a few in my tank along with twigs last year and with subdued lighting, play sand substrate and some other bits of bogwood it looked great – hopefully i want my next setup to be finished by next week – and as it takes a while for oak and beech to properly dry out it looks like ill be usuing the ‘reptile wood’. bit of advice – if you are having leaves, gather and dry out lots – this way when the ones in thank start to rot – which wont be long, you can remove them and be able to replace them quickly. YOu may also want to boil leaves to get rid of any nasty things.

another thing i found to look good is peat. get some aquarium peat and scatter it on the surface – within a few days it will become water logged and will sink and it does look really natural.

Chris

Nev
    Participant

QUOTE (clark136 @ Dec 5 2008, 09:20 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    oak leaves do look great – i had a few in my tank along with twigs last year and with subdued lighting, play sand substrate and some other bits of bogwood it looked great – hopefully i want my next setup to be finished by next week – and as it takes a while for oak and beech to properly dry out it looks like ill be usuing the ‘reptile wood’. bit of advice – if you are having leaves, gather and dry out lots – this way when the ones in thank start to rot – which wont be long, you can remove them and be able to replace them quickly. YOu may also want to boil leaves to get rid of any nasty things.

another thing i found to look good is peat. get some aquarium peat and scatter it on the surface – within a few days it will become water logged and will sink and it does look really natural.

Chris

Cheer’s Chris thanks for the advise, I especially like the idea of floating the peat for a more natural look. I am also hoping the peat will bring my ph down hope fully to about 6.8 to make things more comfortable for the little guys and of course the added advantage of less problems with ammonia.

Neville

Eyrie
    Participant

QUOTE (clark136 @ Dec 4 2008, 09:35 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    a pic would be great. im just about to set up my small 60litre as a blackwater biotope this coming week – i’ll get some photos asap.

Sorry Chris. I’ve tried taking photos but can’t get any that are decent enough to show what the wood is like

clark136
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 7 2008, 03:27 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sorry Chris. I’ve tried taking photos but can’t get any that are decent enough to show what the wood is like /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> im pretty sure the wood is the same as what im thikning of – im getting a bit tomorow and im 99% sure its fine.

dunc
    Keymaster

Get us a pic when you’ve thrown it in your tank Chris

mickthefish
    Participant

Chris about your not getting any fry out of your spawnings, could you put a thread up on the trop section as i’m intrested in why your not getting fry.
    cheers
    mick

clark136
    Participant

alas i’m not currently trying to spawn them, as things have came up that mean i dont have the time to pay them the attention needed, but when i do again i will record all that i do in a diary thread on here. Im also a member on Simply Discus forums and have had lots of help from Heiko Bleher (very famous in the fish world) on how to spawn them – basically its a case of soft water, i use rain water, very acidic – ph4 plenty of live foods and about 30C temp and darkness. and indeed that always gets tem spawning after a week or so and then they spawn every few days. I just cant get any fertilised eggs at all! ah well. i’ll get back on the case soon!

stingrays4

Hi i think biotopes are great, but just how realistic can it be in all honesty? The amazon is a HUGE river with some very diverse area’s,hence why its so popular i guess!! So unless you are lucky enough to do as Heiko bleher and actually visit the area then we can only make educated guess’s?
    Good luck and be great to see some photo’s no matter how poor!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.