LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

American Glass Shrimp

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters American Glass Shrimp

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  keith565 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

keith565
    Participant

i can back from holiday this morning to find my American glass shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus) female (who i separated before i went away) has released her larvae. now, as it’s my first time with this shrimp, I’m not sure what to do.
    these shrimp are not easy to propagate in the aquarium, they produce free floating larvae that need to be fed micro-food items before they molt into post-larva and assume a benthic (= on the ground) lifestyle.
    i will let you guys know how i get on. I’m feeding liquifry to them at the mo and will move them onto ground spirulina soon. i read it takes about a week or so for them to develop into shrimplets. so fingers crossed.

Matt
    Keymaster

Wow what a nice thing to find on your return. Best of luck mate. Are they a completely freshwater species and are you doing any moulting of your own after a week in the sun?

keith565
    Participant

lol, no m8, just nicely brown.
    these are apparently a truly freshwater species, the larvae not needing a brackish/marine stage at all.
    still hard to know if there is anything there. there are things bobbing about but they could be little copipods etc.

Matt
    Keymaster

Can you see anything with a magnifying glass mate?

keith565
    Participant

well, there are little beasties dashing about the tank, but whether they are shrimp or other things it’s hard to say. will keep looking and fingers crossed, something will appear looking like it should be on a mini bar bi

Sofia

Sounds great! Whatever they are

keith565
    Participant

a couple of pics off the net.

Attached files

Sofia

Oh, they are lovely /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool-looking creatures

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Apr 8 2008, 01:00 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cool-looking creatures
    Author
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.