LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

An Unusual Synodontis Decorus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes An Unusual Synodontis Decorus

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Marshall 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Folks

Thought I would share these photographs of an unusual Synodontis decorus hybrid.

Not wonderful quality photographs but they give a good idea of what the beaiutiful little fish is like.

Attached files

David Marshall
    Participant

I know hybrids are a ‘tricky subject’

Attached files

David Marshall
    Participant

So ask for only sensible replies to this post.

Regards David

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Deary me, looks like decorus x brichardi?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

The decorusxbrichardi was my first thought. However a mid-July visit to an aquatic retailer changed my mind as they had a tank of well over 30 ‘decorus’ . Not one was alike and all had such different stripes, spots and bars that my feeling is that the Eastern European breeders are now crossing ‘decorus sports’ to produce colour patterns nature would never have dreamed possible?

As you know I am not an advocate of such hybrids but record as many as I can as my interest in Synodontis is so great.

Regards David

andy rushworth
    Participant

To me it looks a bit Ornatipinnis , what a shame we dont see the real thing , and if we did would we recognise it with all the hybrids in the hobby now ?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Folks

Thanks Andy. Yes there is a look of ornatipinnis. Allan James at Scotcat thought that the fish showed signs of a schoutedeni connection?

I still believe decorus sport x decorus sport.

Below is another decorus variant. An aquatic retailer, accidentally, let this fish get onto the floor while catching a ‘true’ multipunctatus for me. As I know the retailer he allowed me to catch a quick photograph. Thankfully the fish survived.

Regards David

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

When you use the word varient do you really mean hybrid ?

To my eyes that fish on the floor looks nothing like a Decorus !

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Andy

We have talked about this before ‘old pal’.

No I would not class the fish above as a hybrid as there is no sign that it is the result of a crossing between two species of Synodontis. Therefore I refer to it as a variant in my posts. Perhaps it should be a man-made variant of S. decorus?

An easy way of spotting Eastern European bred decorus is to look at the background colour. In these fish it tends to be grey rather than the ‘natural’ colour, which I would describe as creme. The commercial breeders have taken decorus down a path away from the natural form.

Remember I do not condone but record.

Am sure you will reply?

Regards David

andy rushworth
    Participant

Not a hybrid but a man made varient /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” /> sorry old chum , but you dont half confuse me some times

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Andy

I was waiting, with much anticipation, for your reply. Is a hybrid not a crossing of two similar species? If so then does this not make a crossing of two ‘sports’, of the same specie, not technically a hybrid but a man-made variant?

More to come I suspect?

Author
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.