LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Another Poorly Goldfish

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Another Poorly Goldfish

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dellag 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

roxanne
    Participant

QUOTE(dunc @ Apr 16 2007, 08:04 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good news! /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forums, Roxanne

roxanne
    Participant

The fish is on it’s own in a biggish tank, probably holds about 15 litres, possibly more. It has a mains powered filter and do a partial water change most weeks using Nutrafin biological aquarium supplement when i do this.

dunc
    Keymaster

That’s good news

roxanne
    Participant

Usually do use aquaplus, ran out during last water change so need to pick some more up. The filet gets cleaned everytime i do the water change also.
    The fish seems sluggish at times but the bowl he is in now is just an ordinary goldfish bowl and the fish has grown quite big so has limited movement in it.
    Is this likely to be anything serious as i read up on septicemia and the symptoms seemed similar with regards to the red lines in the fins, should i be getting some antiboiotics? or will a complete water change be adaquate?

dellag
    Participant

QUOTE(roxanne @ Feb 11 2008, 12:15 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Usually do use aquaplus, ran out during last water change so need to pick some more up. The filet gets cleaned everytime i do the water change also.
    The fish seems sluggish at times but the bowl he is in now is just an ordinary goldfish bowl and the fish has grown quite big so has limited movement in it.
    Is this likely to be anything serious as i read up on septicemia and the symptoms seemed similar with regards to the red lines in the fins, should i be getting some antiboiotics? or will a complete water change be adaquate?

Hi Roxanne and welcome to the forum.

When you clean the filter you need to clean it in the water you take out of the tank and not water from the tap so you keep all the friendly bacteria alive.
    Also if i understand correctly you have him in a bowl????? Get him back into the tank with the filter as in a bowl with no filtration he is swimming in his own waste.
    Hope this helps

Della

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah, Della is right.

Realistically you don’t need to clean the filter particularly often – I probably clean the media in my external bi-monthly.

If you do want to clean the media, as Della says, it should be cleaned in tank water – i.e. take some of the water out of the tank as you normally would for a partial water change then clean the filter media in it.

You don’t need to really scrub and get it perfectly clean, you just need to get the detritus off the sponges to make sure water will flow through them without blockage.

It is vital that you keep the beneficial bacteria on the filter media as it is those which break down fishes otherwise toxic waste in to less toxic forms. If you clean the filter media with tap water, the chlorine in that water will destroy said good bacteria.

Get him back in to his tank, do a 40% or so water change (dechlorinated water) and see how he goes. If he’s looking more active tomorrow then fingers crossed he’ll be alright. Keep us updated daily.

Hope that helps!

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Roxanne, welcome to the forum

roxanne
    Participant

Hi all,

Well the filter gets cleaned with the water i take from the tank when doing a partial change.
    The fish was only in the bowl for a short period of time while i checked there was nothing in the aquarium that the fish might of cut the fins on. Nothing untoward so moved him back in. Did a 40-50% water change too.
    The fish is still extremely sluggish and laying on the bottom a lot. The red lines a very prominant and travel the full length of the anal fin now as well as one other, it looks like my neice has taken a red felt tip and coloured a few lines on it. No improvement at all unfortunately

Matt
    Keymaster

Can you get a picture of the poor blighter for us?

dunc
    Keymaster

I’m sorry to hear that, Roxanne

roxanne
    Participant

Well i fully expected to wake up today and find the fish dead, but, when i walked down the stairs i could see him swimming happily!
    Back fins are still red, a few white lines are creeping through now also, looks like he has difficulty swimming as the bottom of his rear fin does not seem to work so well when comapred to the top half, but still managing to swim nonetheless.
    Will try and get a picture up shortly to see if anyone recognises what it is that is up with it!

Matt
    Keymaster

Well that sounds like good news

dellag
    Participant

Sounds to me like some sort of bacterial infection. A picture would help to confirm this.

Della

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.