LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Any guesses about this Sewellia?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Any guesses about this Sewellia?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author

torso
    Participant

@mikev said:
    btw, per your suggestion, I looked at GBIF. no Beaufortia data but a danger sign: “Beaufortia” is a name used for some Australian plant too, so someone will get renamed when this is noticed….

I met that problem some time ago, because of Beaufortia. Just google it.

As the zoological system is independent of others (plants, bacteries …) there is no problem to keep the genus. See here

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/index.jsp?article=1&nfv=

“1.4. Independence. Zoological nomenclature is independent of other systems of nomenclature in that the name of an animal taxon is not to be rejected merely because it is identical with the name of a taxon that is not animal”

Cheers Charles

mikev
    Participant

whew

Matt
    Keymaster

@mikev said:
    It is very nice… the problem is that the data points are so few that it is not possible to know if b.k.g and b.k. areas come close to each other or not… this is what i wanted to know specifically. but as a scheme this is great.

One place to start might be to get hold of detailed watershed maps for the Pearl River. We could then see whether tributary headwaters of the Xi (West River, home of B. kweichowensis) and Bei (North River, type locality of B. k. gracilensis) come close to each other or are even connected in some way. The Dong (East River) can probably be discounted in this respect.

mikev
    Participant

P1110465.JPG

I hope you would not say ‘two males’, these two were behaving in an interesting way today.

===>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymUFHCCMiY&feature=youtu.be

olly
    Participant

Two males are fighting. Interesting traditions of the battle.

mikev
    Participant

What do we know about the sizes?

B.g. is a 2″ fish. Beaufortia in the imports usually is 2″ max too, maybe just a bit larger. B.leveretti is said to be larger.

How would you id fish that is 3″ ?

And attention sexists: I’ll have something for you soon 😛

torso
    Participant

B. kweichowensis: TL 8

B. leveretti: TL 12

B.-leveretti-blog.sina_.com-60585513gx6CxFfsibF4b690.jpeg

B.-leveretti-blog.sina_.com-60585513gx6CxFf0C1D0d690-1.jpeg

Beaufortia_leveretti_n2.jpg

beaufortia_leveretti_1_20140708_1462893598.jpg

beaufortia_leveretti_2_20140708_1889986498.jpg

beaufortia_leveretti_3_20140708_1083897922.jpg

beaufortia_leveretti_4_20140708_1469349586.jpg

B. k. gracilicauda is a synonym, right?

Your species is larger, than B. kweichowensis, right? It’ closer to B. leveretti in bodyshape, right?

Cheers Charles

mikev
    Participant

Not sure, I will need to post photos and ask for your opinion.

The fish I’m acclimating right now is all > 7cm and feels differently from beaufortias I have and have seen before.

The photos you posted — are they all leveretti?

Is there anything to the dorsal fin color I wonder ? some have yellow, some do not.

B. k. gracilicauda is a synonym, right?

officially and this is definitely wrong. the markings are quite different and b.k.g. is likely limited to 2″ (5cm).

mikev
    Participant

Unfortunately, only five.

Not a good lfs, the last time I got fish from them I lost all, this time, only two and the problems were noticeable right away… you can even see on the photo.

Hopefully out of the trouble now (loads of antibiotics and then more then two weeks trying to stabilize the biocycle… almost).

These are 3″ and fairly active now.P1110618-1.JPG

olly
    Participant

Great fishes of both sexes. Good luck!

mikev
    Participant

Incidentally, the fish is really different from B. k. gracilicauda, whatever they say about the same species.

it is 1.5x larger (3″ vs <=2"), has different pattern, and has different mentality: in 2.5 years that I have B.k.g, I saw one fight and I never saw them eating --- they just would not do this in front of me! The new guys -- B.k's, I assume? -- are not concerned about me watching at all, I see them eating (and fighting) every day now.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.