LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Any Keen Gardeners Out There?

Home Forums The Lounge Any Keen Gardeners Out There?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bluedave
    Participant

or anyone with an allotment?

I need some advice! We have finnally settled into our new house and we have a massive garden so I’m having a veg patch – it’s about 6m by 8m plus an 8′ by 6′ greenhouse and about 25′ of trellis along the shed. The trellis will be perfect for peas, beans and berries etc.

I’m just digging the patch over at the minute and wondered if anybody had any advice on what I could put in over winter or am I better of just preparing the patch for next year?

I’ve put some Brussel plants in for now. It’s a big job though as the patch was used as a bit of a dumping ground before so i’m finding all sorts (including a 2′ by 7′ concrete slab that i’ll be breaking up this weekend!).

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

johnpeten
    Participant

http://davesgarden.com/
    I have 2 acres of garden of which only half an acre is cultivated and I employ a full time gardener. Unfortunately I can be of little help to you as I live in the tropics. However I belong to the above club which is full of experts in the various climates of the US. I am sure somebody here could help you.

Bluedave
    Participant

Cheers John, nice link, will have a good look at it over the next few days. I also found a UK based allotment forum which has been helpful.

dunc
    Keymaster

My Uncle runs his own one-man gardening business and is really into home-growing etc. If you need any help give me a shout and I’ll hit him up for you

Bluedave
    Participant

cheers Dunc – will do.

philomel
    Participant

Hi Dave
    Oooh no don’t wait for spring – put in broad beans!! October is the ideal planting time for varieties like Aquadulce Claudia. There are also round seeded peas that can be sown now to stand overwinter.
    If you have a look in your local seedy/garden/farmers shop, or the plant stall on your local market, you should find baby leeks/brussel sprouts/cabbage etc ready for planting now.
    Hilary

philomel
    Participant

oh lol, I’ve just spotted johnpeten’s link above to davesgarden – I’ve been a member since 2002 and can highly recommend it as a friendly place to get advice. There is a UK gardening forum on it, so you may well find someone just down the road from you

Bluedave
    Participant

cheers for the advice philomel

Bluedave
    Participant

Thought I’d update this, here’s the garden last october:

and here it is as of last weekend, the proper Good life (just need a pig and some chickens now!):

and here’s my helpers, enjoying some lunch – we had a BBQ that day as well (first barbie of the year – anybody beat that?)!

Colin
    Participant

cool

potatoes is what you want this year, always good for a first crop in a new patch

Bluedave
    Participant

Potatoes are in upto the marker – planted them last week.

johnpeten
    Participant

Good life (just need a pig and some chickens now!):

Dave you don’t need a garden for pigs and chickens, let them roam and fend for themselves. You have to train them when young to return in the evening for their dinner of the days left over tortillas.

Author
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.