LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Anyone Have Pseudotropheus Acei ?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Anyone Have Pseudotropheus Acei ?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Reva 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

I never should look in the fish section of Petsmart. We have a perfectly good LFS here on the island, with very knowledgeable owners. But whenever I go “off island”, I wind up wondering what the Petsmart has, and therein is the cause of some of my fish faux paux. /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

I have never taken the African cichlid plunge…any experienced observations out here? THANKS!
    (I havent purchased them yet…but there’s that empty 45 just sitting there with nobody in it)

ndc
    Participant

YOU RIGHT IN SAYING PEACEFUL FOR MBUNA, THOSE AND THE CAERULEUS (YELLOW LABS) I WOULD SAY ARE ABOUT THE 2 MOST PEACEFUL MALAWI MBUNA CICHLIDS, PROBABLY IN LINE WITH SAY A RAM OR KRIB . THEY WOULD BE FINE WITH MOST FISH OF A SIMILAR SIZE BUT IT IS ALWAYS RECOMMENDED KEEPING THEM WITH SIMILAR FISH DUE TO WATER CHEMISTRY (BUT THIS SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM WITH PETSMART FISH AS I DOUBT THEY ARE WILD CAUGHT AND HAVE THEREFOR BEEN BRED IN ASIA IN THE SAME WATER AS THEY USE FOR ALL OF THEIR FISH) BUT MORE TO DO WITH FEEDING – MBUNA SHOULD ALWAYS BE FED A HIGH SPIRULINA DIET (BEST ONE I USED WAS THE ‘TROPICAL’ BRAND WHO HAVE 36% SPIRULINA FLAKE AND GRANULE)- AND ALSO ITS BEST KEEPING EVEN MILD MBUNA IN AS LARGE A GROUP AS POSSIBLE DUE TO AGGRESSION – DOMINANT FISH TEND TO TAKE OVER IN SMALL GROUPS. IF YOU CAN FIND THEM GET SOME PS. ACEI ‘NGARA’ WHICH ARE A INKY BLACK WITH WHITE TAIL – VERY NICE AS WELL. YOUR TANK IS A ’45’ IS THAT GALLONS? WE USUALLY GO BY HEIGHT AND LENGTH OVER HERE – IF SO IM GUESSING YOUR TANK TO BE ABOUT A 48X15X15″? THIS SHOULD BE FINE FOR A COLONY OF MBUNA IF YOU STICK TO THE PEACEFUL ONES AND OVERSTOCK WITH A LOT OF FILTRATION – GET A GOOD MIX OF CAERULEUS AND ACEI IN THEIR WITH A LOT OF ROCKWORK WOULD BE GOOD, MBUNA CICHLIDS ARE PRETTY EASY IF YOU STICK TO SOME BASIC RULES – OVERSTOCK, FILTER WELL, FEED CORRECTLY, AND IF YOU ARE MIXING SPECIES TRY TO KEEP AWAY FROM MALES OR FEMALES WHO HAVE SIMILAR MARKINGS/COLOURS TO EACH OTHER, THIS SHOULD ALSO HELP LESSEN AGGRESSION. THEY TEND TO BREED EASILY WHEN WELL FED AND HAVE INTERESTING BREEDING HABITS.

Matt
    Keymaster

Great info Neill /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Reva
    Participant

thank you Neill for the great advice! We have very nice types of seaweed that I can collect fresh at low tide on our beach. Do you think they would eat that as well as the spirulina?
    Using your tools here on the website, my tank is 170 liters, and yes your measurement is approximately correct.

ndc
    Participant

wouldnt reccomend seaweed – i would think it has a very high salt content and would cause the fish problems , freshwater fish cant deal with excess salt , it would lead quickly to kidney problems, its hard to explain quickly but basically f/w fish have high salt contents within their bodies compared to salt water fish , and their bodies are built to exude this salt naturally , so their kidneys cannot deal with extra salts, s/w fish have lower salt contents which is why they cant live in f/w usually as their bodies need the extra salts from the sea. you could feed them any kind of weeds from freshwater ponds but there is always an outside chance something nasty would be brought in. spinach (blanched in hot water to break the molecules to make it easier to digest) and similar frozen foods are also good for them. thanks matt, hope capitals dont offend, just i couldnt be bothered to retype once i started!

tbone

I keep two colonies of Acei, the Msuli (deep purple w/ yellow tail) type and the Tanzanian (black w/yellow tail) type. They are monomorphic, so determining their sex can be difficult. The reply by ndc is great advice. They are peaceful, but I also keep larger groups of them to ease the spread of aggression. I would avoid very aggressive cichlids as tank mates. They can take care of themselves for the most part, but they are a bit vulnerable. I love mine! I have a black and white theme going in one of my 55 gallon tanks. The Tanzanian blacks and White Caeruleus labs.

Reva
    Participant

Thanks for the good advice Neill. It’s fortunate that I only give seaweed occasionally then. For vegetables I mostly feed blanched zucchini or broccoli or peas. But the rainbows (from hard water areas) and the Plecos (which I know are salt intolerant ) seem to love the seaweeds. I will slow down on it re: your advice. I never collect anything from fresh water here. We are a temperate rain forest and there are Many ponds and pond critters. I once got a cool slime mold even from adding a rock from the beach into a fresh water tank! It was very spooky. /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE(ndc @ Jun 21 2008, 08:23 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    thanks matt, hope capitals dont offend, just i couldnt be bothered to retype once i started!

Of course not mate, it just made me giggle!

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Jun 22 2008, 12:31 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Of course not mate, it just made me giggle! /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

ulster exile

What an interesting thread. Look forward to the pics Riva!

Matt
    Keymaster

Oh wow, you live in a beautiful place…..

Attached files

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Jun 22 2008, 11:18 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Oh wow, you live in a beautiful place….. http://www.meerkerkgardens.org/gardens.htm

and here is what the real temperate rainforest ground looks like. this pic is in the Olympic penninsula, right across the water from me a short ferry ride…
    http://grandcanyon.free.fr/images/cascade/…onal%20Park.jpg

thank you for posting the pics mangeek

ulster exile

Oh wow! You live in an amazing place! Fancy a houseswap? I live in a rainforest too (bit more rain, lot less forest

Matt
    Keymaster

Me no mangeek! /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” /> Gardens look nice but I prefer the second link!

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Jun 22 2008, 11:45 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Me no mangeek! /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” /> Gardens look nice but I prefer the second link!

ya geek /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.