LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Anyone Want To Take A Chance On Id'ing This Goby?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Anyone Want To Take A Chance On Id'ing This Goby?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bully 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Bully
    Participant

Popped into a Pets at Home today whilst my 6yr old was having an eye-test in the hospital, they had some Pseudogastromyzon cheni in stock and whilst looking at them I spotted a contaminant, and after a brief conversation with a clueless member of staff I walked away with it for £1.49

I’m thinking that given it’s most likely from China then it’s possibly a Ctenogobius sp?

Bully
    Participant

No takers?

I think I will tentatively go with Ctenogobius for now

Matt
    Keymaster

Are there any Chinese species inhabiting solely fw?

Bully
    Participant

According to Fishbase there is: Ctenogobius chengtuensis. How reliable is Fishbase these days?

I haven’t looked into it too deeply yet. I have a very small marine tank should it come to it but, I’m thinking that if it was caught with the P. cheni then it’s quite some way from the sea or a brackish environment? It’s not likely to have been migrating to the sea, was it?

Bully
    Participant

There appears to be a few according to Fishbase, though of course there are no images for comparison

afroturf
    Participant

Hate to point out the obvious but does it not look like a female Rhinogobius duospilus?

Plaamoo
    Participant

There’s always the chance that it wasn’t caught with the cheni, but mixed in at the shipping point in Singapore, Thailand, wherever???

Bully
    Participant

QUOTE (afroturf @ Sep 5 2010, 10:30 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hate to point out the obvious but does it not look like a female Rhinogobius duospilus?

Well, it does now

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Sep 5 2010, 04:11 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There’s always the chance that it wasn’t caught with the cheni, but mixed in at the shipping point in Singapore, Thailand, wherever???

That’s very true

Matt
    Keymaster

Spotted Steven!

Hokum
    Participant

Whenever i happen into a [email protected] i tend to be put off by all the dead or dying fish in the tanks… I’m looking actively for Rhino’s and i’ve not managed to find one not even a contaminant in any store I look in! I’d hazard a guess at duospilus too.

Bully
    Participant

Fortunately the stock in this particular one was pretty good, don’t think I’ve even seen an instance of spot either, not that I’ve been in there that often. The member of staff I was dealing with was clearly not clued in about fish and her expression just went blank when I told her it was a goby

Author
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.