LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Anyone Watching…….

Home Forums The Lounge Anyone Watching…….

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

Channel 5 at 8:00pm. Nature shock. The flesh eating river monster?????

I like Jeremy Wade so hope it will be good!

mickthefish
    Participant

got it on now bud.

mick

well i watched it, that was one hell of a big sod eh.

Malti
    Participant

what was the flesh eating river monster?

mickthefish
    Participant

a great big catfish mate, i’ll have to check on it’s scientific name bud.

mick

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The fish is Bagarius Yarrelli known locally as “goonch” or “devil catfish”

Jeremy Wade has done a couple of programs on the Goonch now and both are excellent

Jarcave
    Participant

Great programme. I enjoyed it.

Basically the locals part burn their dead and then throw the remains into the river. The theory is that these catfish have now started feeding on the char grilled decaying flesh. Which is certainly plausible. The artificially rich diet has then caused the fish to grow larger than they would otherwise do.

Jeremy did catch a six footer weighing 161lb. And logic would dictate that he probably didn’t catch the biggest fish in the river. So there may well be a bigger beast at large.

The locals have reported people being gragged under the river never to be seen again. I reckon the cats may have taken hold and knocked these people of their footing to be trapped by the very powerful current.

I’d love to cast a line in their though!!!

Have Goonch cats ever been seen for sale in the hobby?

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Jarcave @ Oct 22 2008, 08:30 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Have Goonch cats ever been seen for sale in the hobby?

Yup, they typically come in at around 8″. Demanding species.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I know someone that only last year bought what he thought was a Bagarius bagarius that was only 4″ but when it gained nearly 6″ in just a few months it turned out to be a Bagarius Yarrelli, when he finally found out what it was he returned it to the store but I dont know what happened to it after that.

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (coelacanth @ Oct 22 2008, 10:35 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Demanding species.

Is that due to their “dietry requirements?”

ndc
    Participant

no , tetra now do a new line of tetra peopletips for this species !
    probably difficult to keep as id imagine they have quite a high oxygen requirement and also the rivers are cooler than youd expect for ‘tropical’ fish – with the run off from the himalayas

coelacanth
    Participant

As has been mentioned, serious oxygen levels required and lower than normal temps, big tank, people seem to have problems getting them to feed. Not a fish for the novice or the non-committed (you probably need committing if you are willing to offer this fish what it needs).
    Here’s a quote from a British angler who has also been to the area:

“The reaction that you get from the fish when they tip the remains of a funeral pyre in is amazing, I have seen some big mahseer and goonch lying dormant in a deep pool, but as soon as that goes in upstream of them they all moved up into 2-3 ft of water and went mad. Perhaps I’ll have to try it with a cow next time I’m by a river in this country (definitely not in India as they are sacred), although the farmer might not be best pleased”

Matt
    Keymaster

I saw the “Jungle Hooks” show, pretty good. I’ve seen Bagarius on sale a few times and the feeding reaction is quite amazing although live food seems to be the only option.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.