LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Aphanius baeticus in Cádiz

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Aphanius baeticus in Cádiz

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jemp 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

We popped down to Cádiz for a visit just before xmas and on the way stopped at a couple of localities where Stefan and I had collected A. baeticus in 2011. I was particularly interested to see the difference between the habitats in summer (previous visit was in August) and winter. They consist of a series of small streams which all drain an interesting outcrop containing significant salt deposits, meaning some of them are hypersaline whereas others contain more-or-less freshwater.

There had been a lot of rain the preceding few days; water levels were high and it was extremely muddy underfoot. At the first place only a single, miserable-looking Gambusia holbrooki was collected and we quickly moved on.

001.jpg

Same spot in 2011:

2011-1.jpg

Couldn’t even get down to the water at the second place due to mud:

muddy.jpg

Same place in 2011, taken standing at the top right of the previous pic:

not-muddy.jpg

So, no fish so far but not entirely unexpected given the time of year and weather. The next locality, which is the most saline of the streams and thus the only one not to contain Gambusia, also contained far more water than in 2011 and appeared to have been modified by machinery (?).

003.jpg

Same spot in 2011:

lesswatrer.jpg

In 2011 it was too hot to walk much, but this time I followed the channel downstream until it basically disappeared after a couple of hundred metres. No fish were observed on this side of the road bridge:

004.jpg

005.jpg

On the other side of the bridge there were again signs of artificial modification:

006.jpg

007.jpg

Same two spots in 2011, when the fish were all concentrated in small pools under and adjacent to the road bridge:

2011-2.jpg

2011-3.jpg

This time, the fish could be found in deeper sections with submerged vegetation, like this one:

008.jpg

Walked upstream for a few hundred metres, until I stopped seeing fish and the going got too wet underfoot. It seems that the stream floods during wet periods and forms a nice temporary, saline marshland.

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Conehead mantis – Empusa pennata. Also some nice birds on this stream, and no other people!

mantid.jpg

Moved back to the stretch near the road where I had first seen fish and netted a few for pics. They are very easy to catch here.

015.jpg016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

In summation, the habitats looked more-or-less as expected, but signs of modification near the road are not positive. The three streams are artificially united into a single concrete canal around a kilometer further downstream, and as far as I can tell this contains no native fishes. This means the Aphanius are probably restricted to reaches of around 2-3 km in the case of the first two habitats, which are heavily infested with Gambusia, and perhaps a few hundred metres in the third.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Matt. Doesn’t sound good. Great to have you back!

Matt
    Keymaster

Hehe cheers Jim, never really went away! The saddest thing here might be that A. baeticus is protected under national and international law therefore it’s highly illegal to possess it, yet genuine protection of 8 of its 9 remaining habitats, which are also extremely precious for birds and amphibians in particular, is nonexistent.Laugh

oaken
    Participant

Great report Matt! Good to see they’re still there at least.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Gustav, agreed!

Jemp
    Participant

Hola buen reportaje, a mi entendre Es importante Proteger del tanto el pez Como SUS hábitat, heno idea Una Importante que quiero compartir y no se como lo veras. Solo pueden Reproducir y reintroducir los Organismos Oficiales Que se dedican a su conservacion Pero si dejaran controladamente claro, Que los amantes de los peces pudieran colaborar en Reproducir y mantener en acuarios, balsas …  seria mas rapida su recuperacion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.