LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Aphanius Mento 'Kirkgöz'

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Aphanius Mento 'Kirkgöz'

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Well as I sit here writing about barbs (sigh) I’m seeing the first signs of courtship behaviour in the Aphanius. They’ve put a bit of weight on since they arrived but have been very shy. Now though the biggest male is sitting in a little clearing in the algae and displaying at females. Plenty of chasing going on too…

mickthefish
    Participant

is it a similar sort of display that Elassoma evergladie do Matt.

mick

keith565
    Participant

sounds promising Matt. look forward to seeing pictures.

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Oct 1 2008, 08:34 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    is it a similar sort of display that Elassoma evergladie do Matt.

mick

Kind of mate but a bit less intricate and more aggressive i.e. it looks like he’s trying to drive them into the algae. He’ll flare a bit, wiggle his body then pick one to chase! He’s also darkened considerably at least from the top. I can’t really see through the side of the tub so it’s difficult to see everything that’s going on.

Matt
    Keymaster

Well either all this was imagined or I’ve lost a male as I checked the fish a few weeks back (water is green so can’t really see them) and they all turned out to be female!

keith565
    Participant

fingers crossed indeed.

oaken
    Participant

Yeah, hope you have better luck with the new males Matt.

mzapater
    Participant

Good luck with them Matt.

You shouldn´t have too much problem with such group, except for fin nipping and so on.

Separate the eggs from the adults and don´t put the fry together with them until they are at last 1,5 cm. They grow fast in summer.

Let me know how they do.

Manuel…

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers all will keep this thread updated. They seem to have settled in ok but are miles smaller than the females. From what I’ve been reading about Aphanius that shouldn’t stop them though!

Matt
    Keymaster

Result!

Attached files

oaken
    Participant

Good job Matt

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Gustav; most are eyed-up already so will hopefully have fry within the week.

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah that’s really great news Matt, delighted for ya

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers mate! Think I’ll see if these hatch and grow ok before harvesting anymore eggs as I collected at least 30 fertile ones and I think Aiste’s mother might start to get shirty if plastic containers start appearing all over the bedroom terrace.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Great news Matt well done

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.