LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Aphyocharax nattereri/paraguayensis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Aphyocharax nattereri/paraguayensis

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Can anyone confirm that the two species names above are now categorically considered synonymous, with the former taking precedence?

Also, it seems some consider it to belong to the genus Prionobrama though this doesn’t appear to have been widely-followed?

retro_gk
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 20 2012, 04:54 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Can ayone confirm that the two species names above are now categorically considered synonymous, with the former taking precedence?

Also, it seems some consider it to belong to the genus Prionobrama though this doesn’t appear to have been widely-followed?

Souza-Lima’s thesis puts paraguayensis in the synonymy of nattereri, based on an examination of Steindachner’s type material. I do not know if she moved it to Prionobrama in the same publication. pecescriollos provides conflicting information with 2 dates for her thesis. See here for more, with an extract from her thesis.

The other paper referenced in your link above seems to be an abstract of a paper presented at a conference, not a full paper.

I’d keep it as A. nattereri for now.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Rahul. Think the two papers are separate, but at any rate will follow your advice.

Author
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.