LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Aquarium Lawn And Plants For Bogwood/rocks

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Aquarium Lawn And Plants For Bogwood/rocks

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Daddyfish
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I’m eventually having a few shrimp in my tank and wanted to make a lawn for them. What is the best plant to use for this?

I’m also looking for a few alternatives to Java Fern which I already have in my tank. I don’t want to bury my plants, so I’m looking for plants that attach themselves and are reasonably easy to care for.

Thanks in advance!

Bully
    Participant

A planted lawn will be difficult, as unless I’m mistaken you are restricted by Reef One’s substrate?

However, you could use Java Moss to create a lawn effect, it will grow in low light and shouldn’t be planted. You could also try Monosolenium tenerum which is an attractive liverwort, and the same applies, it shouldn’t be planted. The shrimp will happily graze amongst either of my suggestions, I’m not entirely sure how you will manage for maintenance though, as it might be difficult to deep vacuum your substrate with any kind of planting.

Bully
    Participant

Not sure how I forgot this one but, I’ve had success growing Pogostemon helferi attached to rock (so would work on bogwood). However, that plant has a higher demand for light and nutrients than the previous two. It does look much better that the Tropica pictures shows too

Daddyfish
    Participant

QUOTE (Bully @ Sep 27 2010, 12:02 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    A planted lawn will be difficult, as unless I’m mistaken you are restricted by Reef One’s substrate?

Hi Bully,

I didn’t mean I wanted a planted lawn, but one similar to a java moss lawn as mentioned, but with a different type of moss/plant. As for maintenance, it will be on plastic netting and therefore can be lifted to vacuum under. /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Bluedave
    Participant

Planted lawns are always difficult – most of the plants that make a good lawn are high light, add CO2 types to do well.

Glossostigma elatanoides
    Echinodorus Tennellus
    Riccia Fluitans
    hemianthus callitrichoides
    utricularia graminofolia
    eleocharis parvula (dwarf species – can’t remember which right now)

All make great lawns BUT all require loads of light to avoid going leggy.

Anubias (various species from barteri var nana which is small to var barteri or cordefolia which get big) are great to tie to rocks and wood. Various mosses work well on wood as well.

Jarcave
    Participant

Agree with what has been written above. However as an alternative to java moss you could always try christmas moss Vesicularia montagnei. It’s very similar to java moss but grows faster and has a more formal shape. Therefore (In my humble opinion of course) looks better. It does need a little bit more light than regular java, but not too much. I’ve had it grow in tanks with a bout 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon.

Matt
    Keymaster

Christmas Moss is one of the few aquarium plants I can get in Spain. Does it have any particular water chemistry requirements?

Bluedave
    Participant

It’ll grow in pretty much anything Matt.

Slightly acidic soft, water is generally better for it, doesn’t like it too hard or alkaline in my experience. Will grow in a range of temperatures and light. Slow grower unless you’ve got tons of light and CO2, then it seems to grow quite quickly (for a moss….lol)

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s me b*ggered then – the water is really hard and alkaline here.

Jarcave
    Participant

Dave, I’ve found that xmas grows quicker than java. Have you found otherwise?

Matt – Are you referring to plants in general? Or mosses specifically?

Matt
    Keymaster

Anything that doesn’t need a lot of light and will grow in hard water Jared.

Bully
    Participant

Vallisnera likes hard water, my water’s so soft I cannot grow any Vallisnera, it just melts away.

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 11 2011, 12:26 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Anything that doesn’t need a lot of light and will grow in hard water Jared.

Crinum species such as thaianum, natans and calumistratum do OK in hard water and tolerate average light levels.

As has been said, so does Vallis, but some species do need reasonable levels of light. How many watts per gallon do you have?

And how hard is hard?

Matt
    Keymaster

It comes out of the tap in excess of 20° gH.

Bully
    Participant

That’s not water, that’s liquid chalk

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.