LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Aspidoras dorsal rays

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Aspidoras dorsal rays

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  donovan 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

From the profile on SF:

A. pauciradiatus can be further distinguished from congeners by the presence of only 6 soft dorsal rays, as opposed to 7 in other Aspidoras species.

i recall this from other sources too… decided to check on the species I have… well, of the four, two refused to cooperate with photos, albaters clearly had 7, but what is this?

http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/aspara.jpg

Do I see 9?  In the defense of the fish, it is an undescribed species, thus not a part of any key…

(Plaamoo, this is the fish I had space for… they are 15-20mm, I can keep them with shrimp or something else nano, no space used. 😀 )

mikev
    Participant

Ooops…forgot to say what these are.

Sold (by Wetspot) as Aspidoras sp. Araguaia.  What they *really* are is not clear.. Notice that Aspidoras pauciradiatus seem to come from Rio Araguaia but these are not them. The fish seems smaller than other Aspidoras species (I probably have juveniles but still)… the distinct characteristics seem to be a black lateral line and a brown spot on top just ahead of the dorsal fin.

Naturally I googled around… not all “Aspidoras sp. Araguaia” featured on the web is this species, but naturaqua.fr seems to have good photos of this species; it is also quite possible that the fish is identical to C125,

http://www.planetcatfish.com/aspidoras_sp(c125)

mikev
    Participant

Here is something very nutty about aspidoras: they seem to be able to do things above the water level. I saw these new chaps running on the glass above the water level a couple of times, when they are excited about feeding…. did not believe my eyes, and yesterday found this

http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/aalbater-eggs-above-water.jpg

in a tank with A.cf.albater, the cluster is >1cm above the water level. How this was done given the small size of fish (20mm fem, 1mm male) I don’t understand… but this is definitely not due to lowering the water level, evaporation should have been minimal since the water change two days ago. And the eggs felt wet… I don’t know if they are fertile yet. 😕

mikev
    Participant

@matt,

whenever you get to aspidoras profiles, hopefully this will be of use:

http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/aaspa1.jpg

this is “Aspidoras sp. Araguaia” ==(likely) C125; slightly smaller species (max 1.6″), distinguishing characteristics seems to be the black strip.
    Trivia: of all the Aspidora species I have seen these have far the strongest interest in artemia (aspidoras pauciradiatus are the other extreme: uninterested), and are capable of short runs on the glass above the water.

Matt
    Keymaster

Interesting – do you know much about their natural habitat Mike?

mikev
    Participant

Zilch :(

I’d like to … that there is some eerie above-the-water activity is certain (I’m not the only one who found eggs high above the water) makes me want to understand this.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

I’ve had one or two species lay above the water line. C. rabauti & C. diphyes come to mind. Also I lost all but one Aspidoras sp. “Goia” when they left their tank during a spawning frenzy.

mikev
    Participant

Very interesting… it is even more difficult to imagine a “full-bodied” cory like c.rabauti holding to the glass outside of the water…

Hmm… something has come up during a discussion elsewhere… it seems that C125 may not be a valid species but a duplicate of a.spilotus.

Matt
    Keymaster

Are there any theories as to why those species do this?

mikev
    Participant

Gotta be a mechanism to protect the eggs from predation.

In my case this only happened in the tank where the aspidoras have tankmates and I wonder if this is relevant; in single species tanks this never happened. The other difference in this tank is that it is covered so the air above the water is likely more humid and the eggs would not dry out, can the fish test humidity?

Matt
    Keymaster

Perhaps species adopting this strategy inhabit shallow/running water so the eggs are kept wet by natural means if laid just above the water line?

donovan
    Participant

i think that it is interesting that they laid them on the seal of the tank. are there any other clusters that are not on the seal because they may be using it as an adhesive.

mikev
    Participant

@matt said:

Perhaps species adopting this strategy inhabit shallow/running water so the eggs are kept wet by natural means if laid just above the water line?

Arrgh. I was talking about this with the top cory guy in the US, he mentioned a.spilotus also doing it, and suggested that the fish might come back to splash on the eggs…. not impossible, but your “natural means” is better, I have a problem with the parental care idea for cories.

Donovan: no, the eggs are adhesive and stick to glass just fine; I don’t know why this group favors corners. BTW, the eggs did not hatch, and I found a few more yesterday, this time in another corner, but also above water, and this time obviously bad.
    While this group is corner-oriented, I’ve seen albaters deposit eggs on all kinds of things, including string algae, and one time on a large ramshorn snail ?! …
    Spilotus for me so far only use the top of anubias leaves.

donovan
    Participant

ok thank you i have seen non adhesive eggs and have had no experience with these fish so i was unaware that they had adhesive eggs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.