LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Awaiting New Arrivals, Sulawesi Shrimp

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Awaiting New Arrivals, Sulawesi Shrimp

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  keith565 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

keith565
    Participant

well, i’ve ordered some sulawesi shrimp, HARLEQUIN SHRIMP (Caridinia cf.spongicola), these are supposedly one of the hardest to keep, so i’ve read what little there is about them on the net and forums, and the tank is set up ready and waiting.
    these are one of the smallest sulawesi at about the 1cm mark, but very pretty.
    they require very hard water, ph around 8+, temp of 80f min.
    so fingers crossed.

Jarcave
    Participant

Looking forward to the pics. How have you got your tank set up Keith?

keith565
    Participant

at the moment it’s a sand bottom, a few small bits of tuffa rock to keep the ph up, a few small bits of bog wood for them to forrage on and some bits of oak leaf too. the tank also has a 25 watt heater in to keep the temp at 80-82f. jut incase the fish house temp isn’t quite high enough at times.
    the tank itself is 24 x 12 x 12. i’m waitng for some mosses to arrive but this isn’t imprtant as apparently there is little vegitation from where they come from.

Malti
    Participant

gdluck keith

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Oct 5 2008, 11:43 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    gdluck keith /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

geordie John
    Participant

Hi Kieth,
    Good luck with the Harlequins , I’m sure you’ll get them breeding ,fingers crossed. I’ve got loads of Java moss if you want some and some Christmas moss but other than the more formal growth of the Christmas it doesnt look any different !
    All the best,
    John
    P.s. looking forward to pictures.

keith565
    Participant

they arrived an hour ago, 18 in total split between myself and a friend.
    busy acclimatising at the moment. looks like one doa at the mo, all the others are looking good.
    a few pics, still in the bags, so not the best, but i will get some more when they have settled in.

Attached files

geordie John
    Participant

WoW nice one Kieth,
    How big are they and are they all Harlequins ! any in berry !!
    All the best Bud,
    John

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (geordie John @ Oct 7 2008, 11:16 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    WoW nice one Kieth,
    How big are they and are they all Harlequins ! any in berry !!
    All the best Bud,
    John

hi mate, first of all thanks for the heads up, much appeciated.
    they look to be all harlequins, just bad pics due to the bags etc. (nothing to do with the crap photographer,lol)
    they are about 1cm big, no signs of any berried.
    lost one in transit and another not looking to good. will have to wait an see how they do.

Matt
    Keymaster

Very cool mate best of luck with them.

keith565
    Participant

well, not good news, i’ve lost 5 out of 9 and my friend has lost 3 so not doing to well.lets keep fingers crossed the rest do better.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I came across this Keith and it may be of interest to you Harlequin shrimp

This guy is breeding them in quite soft water with a pH below 8.

keith565
    Participant

thanks mate. already read it, will see how the rest go over the weekend as i’m away.

Matt
    Keymaster

Any updates Keith?

keith565
    Participant

bad news i’m afraid, i lost all mine within a week or so, dougie still has a few left but not good since we got 18.
    i may try again, but from a differnt supplier as i’ve emailed them and had no reply. even if i just got a reply would have been ok with me.
    i’m still thinking they were to cold on arrival and that is why they suffered.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.