LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Awaous flavus anyone?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Awaous flavus anyone?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  torso 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

I stopped a funky little shop in Seattle yesterday and found these. Mr. Liam(shop keeper) says they’re dragon gobies. After a bit of searching, they look like these to me.
    http://gobiidae.com/species_pages/awaous_flavus.htm

Anyone have any experience with these. They looked a little agressive in the shop tanks but if you could see these tanks!!

Hokum
    Participant

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Apr 13 2011, 08:17 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I stopped a funky little shop in Seattle yesterday and found these. Mr. Liam(shop keeper) says they’re dragon gobies. After a bit of searching, they look like these to me.

They looks like brackish Gobies to me. Their such a poorly documented clade they could be from also anywhere. They remind me of some s.e.a. brackish species which are very similar looking.

Matt
    Keymaster

Id looks ok based on photos I have stored Jim but agree it could be some other member of the genus. Awaous spp. are amphidromous, same as Stiphodon, aren’t they?

Plaamoo
    Participant

This is the first I’ve heard of them Matt so only know what little I’ve found on the net. Amphdromous & naturally brackish it seems. Pics are poor but best I could do under the circumstances. These are being kept in freshwater tanks. This place is one of a kind! Dark old building in an alley. Tanks WAY overstocked with whatever fits. You never know what you’ll find??

Plaamoo
    Participant

A very interesting article these and breeding amphidromous fish.
    http://gobiidae.com/breeding_awaous.htm

torso
    Participant

2012 some interesting species are to be expected from Brazil (new list of IBAMA)
    Awaous flavus is one. Nice chaps

a male

and a female

not brackish at all. the river’s coming down the hills are soft water-types (Info P. Sewer). As the species is amphidromus they should do in brackish water as well? Mine came in with Kh 1 and seem to feel alright in Kh 4-6.
    Cheers Charles

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

These are being marketed here as awaous strigatus. I’ve no idea if this is correct??? Nice looking fish I’d love to have some!

torso
    Participant

it’s the same species, Jim. there are 5 different synonyms: euctenogobius badius, e. strigatus, gobio flavus, g. kraussii, awaous decemlineatus. awaous strigatus is definetely wrong
    cheers Charles

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks for that Charles!

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice Charles – are they peaceful with one another?

The fish originally pictured by Jim look different?

Plaamoo
    Participant

^Yes I agree Matt.

torso
    Participant

Mine looked alike when they came in. I find it difficult to judge.
    they are quite “actif” in the group, more than the rhinogobius I have. Means: the dominant male is in front of the tank, keeping the others in the background. But not really agressive, though
    Cheers Charles

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.