LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

B. maculatus question

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes B. maculatus question

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rüdiger 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rüdiger
    Participant

Good day to all.

I am going pregnant with this question for quite a while now and no research brought an answer so far. About a year back I saved a group of 6 Boraras maculatus from the sewer. I have first kept them in a 12 l tank by themselves. When I set up the dwarf puffer tank I chucked them in there and bought another 6 to have a little shoal running. Now the first 6 all look like the ones pictured below.

IMG-0001.jpgIMG-0002.jpgIMG-0003.jpg

Rüdiger
    Participant

As you can see, all have a single black spot at the base of the anal.

From the second batch though all have 2 spots, in 2 specimen merged into one oblong spot. As well, the central lateral spot is fairly round in the first batch whereas in the second batch it is sort of “bleeding out” at the bottom, anal and dorsal have a lot less black and you can see a distinct difference in color saturation between the two. (see pics below).

My question now is: Is it a sub-species, a local variety, just a different color phase or something different altogether? 

Regards

R.

IMG-0004.jpgIMG-0005.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Rudi we have pics of fish like the one in the top pic there, where the anal spot is extended vertically, in the profile but never seen one with two distinct spots as in your second pic.

I’d guess it’s an aberrant specimen or regional variant rather than a separate species?

BigTom
    Participant

Mine have a very small second anal spot, but very well defined markings otherwise with no ‘bleeding’.

Will try and dig out some photos when I get a mo.

BigTom
    Participant

Heh, Ok so this is a little odd.

Dug out some old shots of my maculatus shortly after acquiring them (May 2011)… young and stressed so not very well coloured, but clearly with single anal spots –

But now (November 2012), the same individuals have a mixture… some have a single anal spot as before, some have a second anal spot (either on one or both sides) and one male with a full bar instead of spot (but only on one side) –

So it seems to me like the markings break down as the fish get into ‘old age’. Just to confuse matters 😀

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi there.

Matt, I think the aberrant specimen we don’t have to take into consideration as it would be a heck of a coincidence to have 6 of them in one batch of 6 (taken from a tank with about 200+ specimen) 

Yeah Tom, it gets even more confusing. My second batch, the double spotted ones, were extremely small when I bought them. Bloodworms with fat heads really. But one could already see the two anal spots. Back then I though they would, with age, merge into one.

So now we have the one spotted variety, the one spotted developing into two spotted and the two spotted from birth.

And some people say that fish keeping was boring. 😀

Regards

R.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.